This past week I painted the Sea Hag figure from the Bones 2 Under the Sea set to represent a “Swamp Zombie” for the Ghost Archipelago rules.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1.“ fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
Right before starting to paint this figure, I noticed it had a tiny octopus on it’s left shoulder; so I trimmed off the oct’s main body, with the hope I could paint the remaining legs to look like part of the figure’s ragged clothing. In fact, I took the photo below before I noticed the octopus sitting there.
I began by painting all the exposed skin with Americana "Reindeer Moss Green”. Next, I painted the remains of the dress with Crafter’s Acrylic “Forest Green”, and then the hag’s hair with Apple Barrel “Apple Black Green”.
Next, I painted dried blood splatter here and there with Ceramcoat “Black Cherry”. I let everything dry for a while and then gave the figure a wash with Citadel “Agrax Earthsahde” wash. When the wash was dry, I painted the eyes with Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”, and then highlighted the skin with Some Ameircana “Jade Green” mixed with some of the “Light Antique White.
I then drybrushed the hair with Crafter’s Acrylic "Holiday Green”, and highlighted the clothing with Crafter’s Acrylic “Citrus Green”. After that I added fresher looking blood to all the spatter areas using Reaper MSP “Holly Berry”. I decided at that point that I wanted more variation in the stuff draped all over her, so some of it might look like swamp vegetation, so I gave some of the more stringy parts of what she’s wearing a wash with some Citadel “Dark Green” ink.
Lastly, I painted the figure’s integral base with Ceramcoat “Walnut”.
I let the figure dry overnight and the next morning I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. When that was dry, I flocked the base. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s Dullcote". When the Dullcote was dry, I went back and painted the hair and some of the hanging material with some Americana “DuraClear Gloss” Varnish.
I’m pleased with the results on this figure. It certainly looks like the kind of zombie one would expect to crawl out of a swamp in my opinion!
via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2017/10/sea-hag-painted-as-ghost-archipelago.html
from Tumblr http://tumblr.hawks-club.org/post/166946926508