This past week I painted the remaining two Gnoll Warriors from the Bones II 24 Bonus Figures set.
I prepped these figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.
I wanted to make these look a little different than the other two I did a few weeks ago; so for the one on the left, I cut his hand off at the wrist, and then rotated backwards and super-glued it back on, so it would look more like he was on the back part of his swing rather than the forward part. For the one on the right, I sliced off his hand, and replaced it with a sword wielding one from the Bones 1 Orcapocalypse figures; left over from when I was converting some of those a year or so ago.
I then glued the figures to black-primed 1.5" fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figures to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue under each washer.
I began by giving the figure a wash with heavily thinned Reaper “Brown Liner” using a wet brush.
Next, I painted their armor all Black, and when it was dry I drybrushed it with Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”. I then passed over the armor with a lighter drybrush of Folk Art “Silver Sterling”. Next, I painted heir fur with Americana “Mississippi Mud”, and then painted their manes and the end of their tails with Games Workshop “Vermin Brown”.
Next, I painted alternating stripe patterns on their shields with Ceramcoat “Black Cherry”, and Apple Barrel “Yellow”. I then painted the shield metalwork, and the morning star metal parts with Americana Zinc. After that, I painted the patch of material under the strap on their left shoulder blade and the wraps on their feet, with the “Antique White” again.
I then repainted the shield metalwork, and morning star metal parts with the “Gunmetal Grey”, and then let everything dry for a while. When I returned to the figures, I gave them both a wash with Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash using a wet brush. When the wash was dry, I highlighted their fur with Folk Art “Barn Wood”, and their manes, and the end of their tails, with Accent “Golden Oxide”. After that, I painted their muzzles, noses, eyes, claws, and the bases, Black.