Over the weekend I finished up Elliwyn Heatherlark, Gnome Bard, from the Half-Sized Heroes set. I have already painted a couple figures from this set before, so there are only this figure, and one more left to go in this set.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the figure to a white-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
Next, I used Americana “Raw Umber”, to paint her straps, backpack, sword grip, and pouches. I then painted her gloves, and the fur trim on her boots, with Folk Art “Barn Wood”. After that, I painted her hair with Folk Art “Platinum Grey”. Then, after everything had a while to dry, I gave the figure a wash with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush, and carefully avoiding the chainmail parts.
When the wash was dry, I highlighted her hair with White. I then painted her eyes, and then highlighted her face with Americana “Terra Cotta”. Next, I mixed a little of the “Cinnamon Brown, and some Americana "Sable Brown”, and highlighted her tabard. After that I painted her sword blade, and the back of her shield with Americana “Neutral Grey”, and then painted the face of her shield with Ceramcoat “Opaque Red”. I then painted the metal parts on her sword hilt, her horn, and her belt buckle with Apple Barrel “Apple Maple Syrup”.
Next, I highlighted her leggings with a mix of the “Golden Oxide” and the “Apple Maple Syrup”, and I highlighted her gloves and boot tops with Americana “Bleached Sand” I painted the shield straps with Folk Art “Dark Brown”, and then used that color to highlight her boots, straps pouches and backpack. I noticed there was something sticking from her backpack at that point; I think it was possibly meant to be another horn, but I decided to paint it like a scroll (perhaps rolled up sheet music), so I painted it with some Americana “Buttermilk”, and did some quick “Bleached Sand” highlights.
I then painted a musical note on her shield using Americana “Yellow”, and highlighted with Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”. After that, I went back and painted the sword hilt, horn, belt buckle, and the broach at her neck with Ceramcoat “Bronze” and then did highlights with Ceramcoat “14K Gold”. Then I painted her sword blade, and the buckles on her backpack, with the “Gunmetal Grey”, and highlighted with the “Silver Sterling”. I went back and added gems to her belt and sword hilt using the “Opaque Red”, and added little White highlights. Lastly, I painted her integral base with Ceramcoat “Walnut”.
I let the figure dry over night and the next day I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. When dry, I flocked the base. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s “Dullcote”.
I like how she turned out, though I really don’t think having a horn makes her particularly look like a bard to me. She looks more like a fighter in my opinion.
Figure 258 of 266: Complete
8 figures left.