Some of you may remember that last December I converted an extra Darkrasp Evil Priest figure, that I had traded for back in 2013, into a Santa Claus figure. Well, this week I finally got around to painting the original Darkrasp, Evil Priest, figure that came in the Dark Heroes set from my original Kickstarter pledge; and once again I did a conversion. 🙂
A bit of train of thought now… As I looked at this figure and pondered how to paint it, I considered how most of the painted examples of this figure that I have seen have been done up in dark colors: black, grey, brown; and I decided that I wanted to do something different, so I thought about light colors. Immediately I thought, “How about white?”. As I considered white, I thought that with his flowing robes white would make him look almost like an angel; which led me to think that, well, if he was an angel then he’d be The Angel of Death, which would be kind of be a cool figure. If I was going to sell the angel idea he would need wings though; and where would I get wings? So I started pawing through my unpainted Bones collection, remembering that the Lesser Demons set had a bunch of winged figures in it. And, voila! I found what I thought would be the perfect set of wings there among the Lesser Demons: The Vulture Demon
I was able to pry the wings off the figure, and I held them up against the Darkrasp figure to see how they looked. I couldn’t believe what a perfect match they were! Not only did they seem the perfect size, and were feather covered; but they also mirrored the symmetry of the figure with the left wing raised like the left arm, and the right wing extended to match the position of the scythe. So, I used my Dremel with a small drill bit to cut a slot in Darkrasp’s back, and glued the wings in place with Gorilla Superglue.
I began by painting his face and hands with Americana “Shading Flesh”. I then painted his robes with Folk Art “Platinum Grey”, and his wings with Americana “Bleached Sand”.
Next, I painted the scythe handle and the skull on the top with Americana “Khaki Tan”. I then painted the scroll with Americana “Buttermilk”, after which I painted the scroll holder, chains, incense container, and scythe blade with Accent “Mustard Seed”.
I repainted the parts I had painted “Mustard Seed”, this time using Ceramcoat “Bronze”. Then, after everything had a while to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush.
When the wash was dry, I drybrushed the wings using, first, Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”, and then plain White. Next, I painted highlights on his robes, layering up from, first, the Platinum Grey", then Americana “Dove Grey”, and then plain White.
I then highlighted the scroll using the base “Buttermilk”; and then highlighted the scythe handle and the skull on top using, first, Crafter’s Edition “Taupe”, and then the “Taupe” mixed with a little of the “Bleached Sand”. I painted his beard Black after that.
I highlighted the beard with Citadel “The Fang”, and then used Americana “Zinc” to paint all the shadows under his robe where it was raised up along the bottom, as well as inside his raised left sleeve. I painted his eyes, and then highlighted his face and hands with the base “Shading Flesh”. I mixed in a little Crafter’s Acrylic “Flesh” to highlight the tip of his nose. Next, I highlighted all the parts I had painted “Bronze”, using Ceramcoat “Wedding Gold”. And, lastly, I painted the figure’s integral base using Ceramcoat “Walnut”.
After the figure had overnight to dry, I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. When the varnish was dry, I flocked the base, and the next day I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.