For a while I had been pondering what figure to use for the White Gorilla creature from the Frostgrave rules. Than one day, while looking for something else, I spotted the Ape Demon figure from the Bones II Lesser Demons set, and I thought, “Why not?” Maybe the White Gorillas of Frostgrave are the descendants of some bizarre experiment of a misguided wizard long ago who thought it would be a good idea to cross a bat with a gorilla. (Maybe so he could quickly run errands for him through the crowded city. That’s why he has the one big ear; (so he can hear his master call him home), and the big hands so he can carry the grocery shopping!) The now-flightless wings no longer serve a practical purpose, but they do make the creature look more fearsome. 🙂
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the figure to a white-primed 1,25" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
I began by painting his skin and the underside of the wings with a mix of Americana “Shading Flesh” and Folk Art “Barnyard Red”. I then painted his fur with Americana “Bleached Sand”, and used that color to paint his teeth as well. Next, I painted the talons on his wings with Americana “Zinc”, and then painted his tongue with Crafter’s Acrylic “African Violet”.
I let all the paint dry for a while and then gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush".
After the wash was dry, I worked on highlighting his fur, first drybrushing it with Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”, and then with plain White. I also used the “Light Antique White” to highlight his teeth. Next I painted his eyes, and then highlighted his skin with the “Shading Flesh”. Then i did a quick highlight on the tip of his tongue using a mix of Apple Barrel “Apple Lavender” and the “African Violet”. I highlighted his talons with Folk Art “Rock Grey, and painted his finger nails with Folk Art "Platinum Grey”.
I decided I wanted to add a little something to the large bare spot on the front of the base, so I glued on a little bit of cork rubble and a little piece of gravel, and when the glue was dry I painted it with Americana “Zinc”. I then drybrushed it with Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”, and then the “Platinum Grey”, and lastly some plain White. I painted the figures integral base and the rest of the fender washer base white.
When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” early the next morning. Midday, I flocked the white areas with Woodland Scenics “Snow” flock and the next day I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.
I really like how this fellow turned out. And I think he fills the role of descendant of bizarre wizard’s experiment just as well as he did as his intended use as a demon! 🙂