This past week I dove into the Dark Heroes set and painted the two knights, Mangu Timur and Ragnaros, Evil Warrior, from that set. Since the way I planned to paint them was so similar I figured I’d just do them at the same time. I’m also happy to have reached the 240’s; it makes my goal seem that much closer. 🙂
I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. I then glued Mangu Timur to a black primed 1" fender washer, and Ragnaros to a 1.25" black-primed fender washer. I then glued the washers to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s glue each.
I began by painting both figures Black. I then drybrushed the figure with Accent “Princely Pewter”, followed by a light highlight drybrushing with Folk Art “Silver Sterling”.
I then painting the waist hangings and shield on the Mangu Timur with Apple Barrel “Apple Black Green”. I then moved to Ragnaros and painted all the decorative skulls and his shield with Ceramcoat “Opaque Red”. I then painted his horns with Folk Art “Barnyard Red”. Next, I went back to Mangu Timur and painted the decorative details on his waist hangings, shield, as well as the hilt of his sword with Ceramcoat “Raw Sienna”.
I then repainted the parts I had painted with the “Raw Sienna”, this time using Ceramcoat “Bronze”. I also repainted all the red skulls on Ragnaros using Dazzling Metallics “Festive Red”. I let the paint dry for a while, after which I gave a wash with Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash using a wet brush to the parts I had just painted with the “Apple Black Green”, “Bronze”, Opaque Red", “Barnyard Red”, and “Festive Red”.
When the wash was dry, I began work on the highlights. I started on Mangu Timur, highlighting his waist hangings and shield with Apple Barrel “Apple Blue Spruce”. I then highlighted all the parts I had painted “Bronze”, using Ceramcoat “14K Gold”. I highlighted his sword with Silver Sterling", and when it was dry, I applied a wash down the center of the sword with Iron Wind Metals “Mid Green” ink using a wet brush.
I then turned to Ragnaros. I bean by highlighting his horns with the base “Barnyard Red”, and then mixed a little Americana “Terra Cotta” in it to highlight the ends of the horns. Next, I Highlighted his shield with Americana “Cadmium Red”. I panted the back of his loin hanging, and the claws on his shield with Black, and then added highlights to the Black with Citadel “The Fang”. While I had the Black out, I also painted his sword, an the sword grips on both figures. Next, I highlighted the skulls I had painted the metallic “Festive Red”, using a mix of the “Festive Red” and Americana “Tangerine”. I then repainted his word with Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”, and then highlighted it with the “Silver Sterling”.
While I had the “Silver Sterling” out, I added specific highlights on each figure where I felt they were needed, then I let everything dry over night. The next day I gave the figures a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” and, when dry, flocked their bases. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor’s Dullcote".
I’m pleased with how these two knights turned out. I didn’t attempt anything too fancy on them, just did them up for tabletop use.