Knowing I wouldn’t have a lot of time to paint this past week, I grabbed the Bird Familiar from the Familiars Set to paint. I wanted to do it up as a crow in case some day I decided to field the Crow Master type of soldier from the Frostgrave game. Of course I also thought it would make a good familiar if needed.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then I gave it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsed and dried it. Next, I glued a column of scrap cork to an old 5/8" fender washer I had, that I had removed a figure from long ago, with Aleene’s Tacky glue, I then cut down the base of the bird so it fit roughly on top of the cork, and used the tacky glue to glue it on. I then coated the cork column with regular white glue to help strengthen it, so it would be less likely to break in two during game play. I then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
I painted the bird all Black, and used Americana “Zinc to paint the column and the base (which already had the remnants of painted sand glued to it from the previous figure that had been on it). when dry, I gave the column a wash with GW "Badab Black” Wash using a wet brush.
When the wash was dry, I drybrushed the column with Americana “Neutral Grey”, Crafter’s Acrylic"Storm Cloud Grey", and Folk Art “Platinum Grey”. Next, I drybrushed the bird with Citadel “The Fang”, and then did lighter highlights with Folk Art “Cloudy Day”. Lastly, I added a little White highlight dot to the eyes.
After the figure had overnight to dry, I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. The next morning I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.
For a quick paint up, I think the bird turned out really well. I had originally planned to paint the top of the column as snow, and add some around the base, but decided at the end to leave it seasonal-neutral so I could get more use out of it.