Readers may remember that last week I posted a test paint of one of the Pathfinder Goblin Pyros as a Christmas Elf. Well, this week I painted up three more Pathfinder Goblins as Christmas Elves to complete the Thief contingent for my Santa themed Enchanter warband for Frostgrave.
I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. I took one of the torch-wielding ones and sliced off the torch flush with the hand, drilled out the hand, and inserted a piece of bent paperclip wire to represent a candy cane. I then glued each figure to a white-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue. I then glued the washers to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue each.
Like with my test figure, since the goblins/elfs had bear feet, I used a glob of the Tacky glue on the front of each foot to help obscure the toe delineations.
I began by painting the faces and hands with Crafter’s Acrylic “Flesh”.
I then painted the clothing and armor with Americana “Forest Green”, Crafter’s Acrylic “Wild Green”, and Crafter’s Acrylic “Deep Red”; alternating which items I used each color on as I went down the line of figures, trying not to use the same color on the same area for each goblin. I also used the “Deep Red” to paint the feathers on the first goblin’s hat.
Next, I painted the shoes with Nicole’s “Brown”, and the torch and sword grips with Americana “Dark Chocolate”. I also painted the candy cane with White. I painted their little pouches with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”. Then I painted the rocks the first and third goblins are standing on using Americana “Zinc”.
Next, I applied a wash to the figures using GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash with a wet brush. When the wash was dry, I painted the eyes; and then used some Black to paint the inside of the open mouths. Then I used White to paint the teeth I then used the original “Flesh ” to highlight the hands and face. I mixed some Crafter’s Acrylic “Tutti Frutti” with some of the “Flesh”, and applied pink highlights to the cheeks and nose. I used Crafter’s Acrylic “Christmas Red” to paint the stripes on the candy cane.
I then worked on highlighting their clothing and armor. I used the original “Wild Green” mixed with some White to highlight the part I had painted “Wild Green’. I used Crafter’s Acrylic "Holiday Green” mixed with a little of the “Wild Green” to highlight the parts I had painted "Forest Green". And Crafter’s Acrylic “Christmas Red” mixed with a tiny bit of the “Tutti Fruity” to highlight the parts I had painted “Deep Red”.
Next, I painted the swords with Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey” and used Black to paint in the holes in the swords. I then used a little GW “Badab Black” wash on the area where the rivets connect the sword to their grips. Next, I used Americana “Zinc” to paint all the areas of stitching on their armor. I then painted the little balls on their sword grips: the first one I did with the “Holiday Green”, the second with Crafter’s Edition “Purple Passion”, and the third with Crafter’s Acrylic “Bright Blue”.
I used White to highlight the forearm wrappings. Then I used Americana “Sable Brown” to add highlights to the shoes and Americana “Khaki Tan” to do highlights on the pouchs around back. I then painted the cross stitching on the hat, and the ribbon on the torch with the “Deep Red”. Then I went back and highlighted the cross stitching on the hat, and the ribbon on the torch, with the “Christmas Red”. Next, I painted the swords with Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”. I then used Folk Art Metallics “Silver Sterling” to highlight the swords, and the stitching on the armor (I wanted it to look like maybe it was tinsel). Then I used Folk Art Metallics “Emerald Green” to overpaint the ball at the end of the first sword, Folk Art Metallics “Blue Sapphire” for the second, and Folk Art Metallics “Amethyst” for the third. I followed this with adding a couple White highlights to each ball.
Lastly, I worked on the flame on the torch. I started by painting the base of the flame, and the very tips of the flame, with Black. I then worked from the flame’s base, upwards, using: Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”, Crafter’s Acrylic “Pure Pumpkin”, the “Christmas Red”, and then some Ceramcoat “Black Cherry”. I applied these colors in fast succession so the paint would still be wet with each successive color allowing me to blend them together. After this, I wrapped things up by painting the figures’ bases with White.
When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figures a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” early the next morning. Midday, I flocked the white areas with Woodland Scenics “Snow” flock and late that afternoon I sprayed the figures with Testor’s Dullcote.
I am really happy with how this little band of Christmas elves turned out. Not everybody is cut out to work in the toy workshop, and these fellows seem just right for helping Santa with his more dangerous missions. 🙂