Pathfinder Goblin Pyro as Christmas Elf: Bonus “Bones 1 KS” Figure

Chris Palmer

   This week I experimented with painting up one of the Pathfinder Goblin Pyros from the We Be Goblins set, that was part of the Bones I Kickstarter; to see how it would look painted up as one of Santa’s Elves for my Santa themed Enchanter warband for Frostgrave.   I had already officially painted these figures previously, but had picked up a few more of them along the way because they’re such fun figures.
    I had planned a while back that I wanted to use Christmas elves to represent the four Thieves I had added to my Santa the Enchanter’s warband; and had originally prepped four of the Victory Force Miniatures, Unarmed Christmas Elves to use in this role.  Then over on the Reaper forum, forum member Pippin suggested I possibly use Goblinsto represnt Santa’s elves.  The idea buzzed around in my head for awhile, as I wasn’t totally happy with the Victory Force Elves.  I felt they looked a little too Elf-On-The-Shelf modern.  So, I thought I’d do this test on the Pathfinder Goblin kind of as a proof-of-concept as to whether using them for Christmas Elves would work.
    I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking for a few hours in water with a bit of dish soap added, giving a gentle scrub with an old soft toothbrush, then rinsing and drying.  I then glued it to 1" white-primed fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple small dabs of Elmer’s white glue, for ease of handling during painting.
     I realized the goblin/elf had bear feet, but I wanted it to have shoes; so I used a glob of the Tacky glue on the front of each foot to help obscure the town delineations.
     I began by painting the face and hands with Crafter’s Acrylic “Flesh”.   I then painted the outer clothing Americana “Forest Green”, and the leggings, undershirt, and hat with Crafter’s Acrylic “Wild Green”.

   Next, I painted the armor with Crafter’s Acrylic “Deep Red”.  I then painted the sword, and the feather on the sleeve, with Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”, and the torch handle with Nicole’s “Brown”.   The wrappings on the forearms I painted with Folk Art “Platinum Grey”.  I painted the little pouch around back with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”.

    I decided at this point to paint the shoes with the “Brown” I had used on the torch handle, so I went back and repainted the torch handle with Americana “Raw Umber”.  I then applied a wash to the entire figure using GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash with a wet brush.   I also used some Black to paint in the holes in the sword, and the open mouth.    When the wash was dry, I painted the eyes, and used White to paint the teeth  I then used the original “Flesh ” to highlight the hands and face.

     When the wash was dry, I highlighted the  hat, undershirt and leggings with the original “Wild Green”.  I then highlighted the outer clothing with Crafter’s Acrylic “Holiday Green”, and the armor with Crafter’s Acrylic “Christmas Red”.    I used White to highlight the forearm wrappings and the feather.  Then I used Americana “Sable Brown” to add highlights to the shoes and Americana “Khaki Tan” to do highlights on the pouch around back.  I then painted the cross stitching on the hat, and the ribbon on the torch with the “Deep Red”, and then did the cross stitching on the armor with Americana “Zinc”.  Then I went back and highlighted the cross stitching on the hat, and the ribbon on the torch, with the “Christmas Red”.  I also used this color to paint the ball at the end of the sword handle.   Next, I painted the sword with Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”.  I then used Folk Art Metallics “Silver Sterling” to highlight the sword, and the stitching on the armor (I wanted it to look like maybe it was tinsel).   Then I used Dazzling Metallics “Festive Red” to overpaint the ball at the end of sword, and added a couple White highlights.
    Lastly, I worked on the flame on the torch.  I started by painting the base of the flame, and the very tips of the flame,  with Black.  I then worked from the flame’s base, upwards, using: Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”, Crafter’s Acrylic “Pure Pumpkin”, the “Christmas Red”, and then some Ceramcoat “Black Cherry”.  I applied these colors in fast succession so the paint would still be wet with each successive color allowing me to blend them together.
     The figure was all but done now, though as I looked at it I felt the face was a bit too pale and ashen colored and needed a bit more life in it.  So I mixed some Crafter’s Acrylic “Tutti Frutti”  with some of the “Flesh”,  and applied pink highlights to the cheeks and nose.  After this, I wrapped things up by painting the figure’s base with White.
     When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” early the next morning.  Midday, I flocked the white areas with Woodland Scenics “Snow” flock and late that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.

    I have to say that I’m really pleased with how this figure turned out, and I think the idea of using these fellows for Santa’s Elves is going to be a winner.  Even as I type, I have three more prepped and awaiting painting.

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1XaolkY
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1WKZfIM
via IFTTT

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Pathfinder Goblin Pyro as Christmas Elf: Bonus “Bones 1 KS” Figure

  1. I agree, looks like Santa has mercenaries!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: