This week I wrapped up the Bedevilled Set by painting Vandorendra, Snake Demon. The Bedevilled Set now joins the list of completed sets over in the righthand column. I’m going to take a short break from doing Vampire sets next week, and start working on 4 of the Orcs from the Orcpocalpyse add-on set. I realized I didn’t want to get to the end of painting the Bones I Vampire pledge, and suddenly be faced with 20 orcs to paint, so I thought I’d start feeding them in between sets.
I prepped Vandorendra in the usual way; soaking the figure in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1.25" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
I began by painting her entire upper body, and the underbelly scales, all Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”. I then painted the rest of her upper snake scales with Crafters Acrylic “Cinnamon Brown”. I also painted the area of the base in between her snake coils; were the skull, bones, and sword are, as well as the weapon grips, with Ceramcoat Walnut. Next, I painted all the weapon hilts and jewelry with Ceramcoat “Bronze”.
After the first colors had had a while to dry, I gave the entire a figure a wash with GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash. When the wash was dry, I painted her hair black. I also painted the skull and bones on the base with Americana “Khaki Tan”, and the sword scabbard with Apple Barrel “Burnt Sienna”.
Next, I highlighted the hair with a mix of Folk Art “Cloudy Day” and Black, then I did finer highlights with just the “Cloudy Day”. Then lastly, I mixed a little White with the “Cloudy Day” and did some spot highlights on the hair. I also did highlights on the the skull and bones with Americana “Buttermilk, and finer highlights with Crafter’s Acrylic "Light Antique White”. I then finished painting the ground under the skull, bones, and scabbard by drybrushing it lightly with GW Khemri Brown", and then Crafter’s Edition “Taupe”
I then painted her eyes, giving her pupils with Apple Barrel “Apple Maroon”, I also used the “Apple Maroon” to paint the tiny gem on her forehead". Next I mixed some of the “Apple Maroon” with some of the Territorial Beige" to paint her lips. Next, I highlighted her skin and the underbelly scales with the base “Territorial Beige”, I then mixed a little Crafter’s Acrylic “Flesh” with the “Territorial Beige” to do some lighter highlights. I followed this with doing highlights on the rest of the scales with Americana “Sable Brown.” Next, I painted her nipples with Americana “Charcoal Grey” mixed with a little of the “Territorial Beige”.
My next step was to paint all the weapon blades with Folk Art “Gunmetal Grey”. Then, I used Ceramcoat 14K Gold to highlight all the weapon hilts and jewelry that I had painted Bronze earlier. I then went back and used Folk Art Silver Sterling to add highlights to the blades. Lastly, I painted the rest of the figure’s integral base with the “Walnut”.
After the figure had the afternoon to dry, I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” in the evening. The next morning I flocked the base using a sand mixture, and later that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.
I’m very pleased with how this figure turned out. I was interested to see how the “Territorial Beige” would work for a darker skin tone, and I think it came out looking pretty good.
Figure 193 of 266: Complete
via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1ntEjbZ
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1Pv8qvW