Daily Archives: January 18, 2016

Combat Patrol Science Fiction Support Weapons

Buck

Box art for Cadian heavy weapons

Box art for Cadian heavy weapons

I have been collecting figures to adapt Combat Patrol™: World War II for science fiction skirmishes.  I have the Woodbine figures from the movie Aliens, the Sergeant Major’s Miniatures Firefly crew, and a bunch of Reaper Bones science fiction figures.  Chris pointed out that for an open-field type science fiction skirmish we needed some vehicles and support weapons.  I am working on a a scratch-build APC (more on that when I finish it).  Someone directed me to Pig Iron’s Web page, where I ordered a bunch of heavy infantry with support weapons.  Until those arrive, I found this box of Games Workshop Warhammer 40k support weapons.  This weekend I assembled and painted them.  The interesting thing about this box of figures is that it comes with crew for three weapons, but enough parts to make three each of several different weapons.  I guess you are supposed to choose which weapons you want to build; however, I wanted to be able to use any mix of them in a game.  As a result, I assembled them for maximum flexibility, sacrificing some aesthetics.  The figures don’t look as much like a permanently-mounted two-man crew any more so that I can mix and match them during a game.

Configured with heavy AT type gun

Configured with heavy AT type gun

Configured as mortars

Configured as mortars

A shoulder-fired AT rocket

A shoulder-fired AT rocket

Configured as laser cannons

Configured as laser cannons (with shoulder-fired AT rocket launcher in the foreground)

Configured as machinegun-like things

Configured as machinegun-like things

There were also a bunch of extra canteen, rifles, ammunition, and other bits.  When I build my space ship, I will use them to equip the arms room.

Even though the flexibility meant that the figures didn’t fit as nicely behind all the weapon, and some of the poses are a bit off, I am happy with the final outcome.

from Buck’s Blog http://ift.tt/1JVTJj3
via IFTTT
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1nuis3W
via IFTTT

Tiviel, Hellborn Rogue: Figure 192 of 266

Chris Palmer

    This week I completed Tiviel Hellborn Rogue, from the Bedevilled set.  I now only have one more figure left to do from this set.
    When looking at this figure there was something about it that looked more Sci-Fi than Fantasy to me.  I don’t know if it was the outfit, or the stance, or just the general demeanor of the figure; but to me it looked a bit more like a Star Trek alien than a fantasy world demon. So, I decided to go with that for my painting scheme.
     I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
     I began by painting all her skin with Americana “Olive Green”.   I then made a 50/50 mix of Iron Wind Metals “Mid Green” and “Dark Green” inks, and applied it on the skin using a wet brush.

  When the wash was dry, I painted her pants with Ceramcoat “Raw Sienna”. I then did highlights on the pants with Folk Art “Mustard Seed”, and finer highlights with Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”.  Next, I painted her chaps with Black.

     I then did highlights on the chaps with a mix of Black and Ceramcoat “Denim Blue”.  I painted her top next with Americana “Neutral Grey”; then painted the pouches, belt, and dagger handles with Americana “Asphaltum”.   I next painted her hair with Americana “Forest Green”, and her horns with Americana “Zinc”.

     I then highlighted her top with Folk Art “Platinum Grey”, and then painted her wrist ornamentations with Black, and highlighted them with a mix of Black and the “Denim Blue”. While I had the “Denim Blue” out, I also used it to paint her dagger blades and do some highlights on her horns.  Next, I painted over her top with Folk Art Extreme Glitter “Hologram” paint to make it look glittery.  I then painted her dagger blades again, this time with “Metallic Blue Sapphire”, and then did highlights on the blades with Folk Art Pearl “Aqua Moire”.
      At this point I painted her boots,  shoulder and tail armor, dagger fittings and the decorations on her top with Ceramcoat “Bronze”.  When dry, I gave the “Bronze parts a careful wash with GW "Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush.   When the wash was dry, I highlighted the “Bronze” with Ceramcoat “14K Gold”.
     Next, I painted her hair again, this time with Folk Art “Metallic Emerald Green”, then added some White to the “Metallic Emerald Green” and did some highlights on the hair.  I then painted her eyes, and then did her lips with the “Forest Green”.  I then highlighted her skin with the base “Olive Green”.   Lastly, I painted her integral base with Black.
    When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.   When that was dry, I then spread glue on the base and covered it with black sand.  When dry, I drybrushed the sand with the “Neutral Grey”.  Then, the following day, I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.

     I’m pleased with how the Sci-Fi look turned out on her.  I think she looks like a good alien assassin, or perhaps some sort of exotic knife dancer.

Figure 192 of 266: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1RZXDsh
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1n6AEjF
via IFTTT

%d bloggers like this: