Daily Archives: February 16, 2015

Muskets & Tomahawks in Abingdon

Don
Sunday I stopped by Critical Hit Games in Abingdon, MD for a game of Muskets & Tomahawks – part of an ongoing effort to bring historical gaming to those who only know the Games Workshop universe.

A force of Canadians was raiding into British territory with the intent to kill or drive off some settlers (The Slaughter mission).  A force of British regulars were nearby and deployed to protect the settlement (The Protection mission).

Remnants of the Highlanders fire at some Canadians in the wood line

Canadians units return fire, killing3 British soldiers and routing the rest

The battle swung back and forth….first the Canadians routed a unit, then the British routed a Canadian unit.  Ultimately, the Canadians drove the British from the field and razed the settlement.

Unfortunately, I usually forget to take pictures.  The game generated some interest but not sure I gained any recruits….this time.  The Saga game Jim and I ran last weekend did result in a couple of players purchasing Saga armies.

from Wargaming Notes http://ift.tt/1CCKZEz
via IFTTT
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/17jN13E
via IFTTT

10mm North Polenburg Hussars Completed for LSNQSYW Project

Chris Palmer This week I completed the 34th Hussar Regiment for my 10mm North Polenburg Imagi-Nation Army.  This is for a force I started based on a long standing club project, started by Rob Dean and myself, called the Not Quite the Seven Years War (NQSYW), in which members of the HAWKs created forces for their own 18th century Imagi-Nations using homecast 40mm figures.  I decided last year to do an offshoot project in 10mm for use with our “Look, Sarge, No Charts” series of rules…a little project I call Look, Sarge, its Not Quite the Seven Years War. (LSNQSYW) 🙂  (See this blog entry for more information on the project, and some photos of the rest of the 10mm North Polenburg Army.)

The North Polenburg 34th Hussars ready for action.

The regiment shown with one of their NQSYW 40mm counterparts.

via One More Gaming Project http://ift.tt/19nFsKJ
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1L4iKVI
via IFTTT

Freja Fangbreaker, Dwarf Warrior: Figure 137 of 265

Chris Palmer

     This week I started the Dwarves Set, and painted the female warrior, Freja Fangbreaker.  I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued the figure to a 1” black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.

     I began by painting the body of the figure with black, and when dry, gave it a heavy drybrushing of Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”. I then went over this with a lighter drybrushing of Folk Art “Silver Sterling”.

  Next,  I painted the plates on her skirt, her belt buckle, and the rivets on he shield with Ceramcoat “Bronze”.  I then painted the inside of her shield with Ceramcoat “Walnut”, the two ax handles with GW “Vermin Brown”, and her loincloth with Apple Barrel “Apple Blue Spruce”.

     I then went on to paint her flesh with Americana “Shading Flesh”, and her hair with Anita’s “Burnt Sienna”. I painted her belt and the straps on her shield ax with Americana Asphaltum, and the pouch on her back I painted with DecoArt “Cinnamon Brown”.

    I went back and painted the circlet on her head with the “Bronze.  I then gave her hair, skin, belt, pouch and ax handles all a wash with Winsor-Newton “Peat Brown” Ink. While the ink was drying,  I added some highlights to her loincloth with a mix of the original “Apple Blue Spruce” with a little Anita’s “Baby Blue” added in.

     It was now time to do the eyes. I painted the sockets black then added whites with black pupils.  I then moved on to highlighting the hair. I first gave a drybrush with the original “Burnt Sienna”, then I used some Accent “Golden Oxide” to added some lighter highlights.  I then did the highlights on her skin, first using the base “Shading Flesh, and then mixing in a little Apple Barrel “Apple Flesh” to do lighter highlights.  I did some quick highlights on her pouch with the base “Cinnamon Brown”.  I now worked on finishing up the metals, first highlighting all the parts I had painted “Bronze” with Cermacoat “14K Gold”, and then going back and doing some final highlights on the rest of her armor and weapons with the “Silver Sterling”. Lastly, I painted her white integral base with the “Asphaltum”.
      I let the figure sit for the rest of the day, and before I went to bed I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.  The next morning I flocked the base, and late that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.

     I like how this little lady turned out.  I wanted to really make her look all about the metals, with only a minimum of parts painted non metallic colors;  and I think that really came out well.

   As many of you may have heard, Reaper is now shipping out their Bones II Kickstarter boxes.  I’m in Wave 6, so it will be a while before I get mine.  Once it arrives, it will be a real job to stay on task finishing up Bones I.  I’ve been debating with myself whether I want to showcase the figures from Bones II that I paint on this forum or not.  I don’t plan to be as deliberate about completing the entirety of the Bones II figures as I have been about Bones I; and in fact plan to trade some off to some friends.  But I was just wondering if folks would be interested in having the occasional Bones II figure highlighted on this blog as well as the rest of the Bones I ones.

Figure 137 of 265: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/17Gba5C
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1FhyjZQ
via IFTTT

%d bloggers like this: