Daily Archives: August 14, 2014

Male High Wizard: Figure 105 of 265

Chris Palmer

I was also able to complete the Male High Wizard figure from the 30 New Bones Set as an additional figure this week. I must say that since the Kickstarter arrived I have never particularly liked this figure.  I find it to be too stylized and too busy, and with too many little unnecessary greeblies all over that would have to be painted.  So, last week as I was pondering what to do with it, I got in my head to do it as a statue. Perhaps it’s the kindly wizard who saved the town from some dire beastie ages ago, or maybe the evil wizard who has ruled the town for ages and has a large ego.  I had seen in the past some folks use old figures to do very cool verdigris covered statues for their miniature towns, and I thought this would give me a chance to try my hand at it.
     I  had prepped this figure a while back in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I also had sprayed it with the Krylon with Fusion Flat Black back when I was still using spray primer.  To help with my statue look, I dug around and found an old plaster hexagonal  piece from a long ago terrain project, and a small wooden hexagon from a pack of wood shapes I bought from a local craft store.  I glued them both to a 1” black-primed fender washer base, and then the figure on top, with Aleene’s Tacky glue. I let this dry and then glued the whole assembly to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s white glue.

My first step was to paint the unpainted base parts black to match everything else.  I then painted the whole wizard figure, except for his sculpted-on stone base, with Ceramcoat “Bronze”.

Now it was time for the verdigris.  I had received a free sample bottle of Reaper’s paint tossed in with an order I placed a few months ago (thanks Reaper!) but the problem with Reaper’s “Free Sample” paint is it isn’t identified as to what color it is. So, looking at the website, I’ll take a stab and say that it looks like it’s their “Surf Aqua”.  Whatever color, I slightly thinned a couple drops of it and added a pinhead sized dab of dish-soap to help it flow into the recesses, and brushed it all over the figure.

My next step was to paint the pedestal, including the stones sculpted onto the wizard figure’s base, with Folk Art “Medium Gray”.

When the “Medium Grey” was dry, I gave the entire pedestal and base a wash with thinned black ink.  When the black ink was dry, I drybushed the gray with  Duncan “Slate Grey”.  Lastly I painted the washer with Americana “Mississippi Mud”.    After everything had overnight to dry, I painted the entire thing with Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish the next morning.  Later that afternoon, I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.

I’m pleased with how the statue turned out.  And I’m thinking there may be one or two other “unloved” figures in the Kickstarter that will get the statue treatment in the future.

Figure 105 of 265: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1yADGvl
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1nT2bxJ
via IFTTT

Advertisements
Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: