This week I got back to my goal of trying to complete the original 30 New Bones Set, and worked on Aina, the female Valkyrie. I began my preparation of this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I then glued the figure to a 1” black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.
I then painted the skirt plates with Ceramcoat “Bronze”, and her dress I painted with Folk Art “Deep Tomato Red”.
My next step was to paint all the belts, scabbards, hangings, arm guards, and boots with Accent “Real Umber”. Her face hands, and exposed leg I painted with Apple Barrel “Apple Flesh”. The weapon grips I painted with Americana “Asphaltium”.
Next, I painted the shield with GW “Blood Red”. I followed this with painting her hair with Americana “Charcoal Grey”. I then painted all the metal bits and trim with the “Bronze”, and the helmet with Folk Art “Silver Sterling”.
I now gave the whole figure a wash with thinned Winsor-Newton “Peat Brown” Ink. When this had dried, I drybrushed her hair with Accent “Mustard Seed”, followed by a lighter drybrushing with Ceramcoat “Maple Sugar”, and lastly with an even lighter highlight drybrushing with Americana “Buttermilk”.
It was now time to work on the face. I painted her eyes white with black pupils. I then mixed a little of the “Apple Flesh” with a bit of the “Deep Tomato Red” to get a pink to paint her tongue. I added a little more of the red to it, to make a deeper pink to paint her lips. Lastly I painted her teeth white. I added highlights to her nose and cheeks with the basic “Apple Flesh”.
I then painted the sword the “Silver Sterling”, and then went back over all the “Bronze” parts and highlighted them with Ceramcoat “14K Gold”. Next, I added highlights to the dress with the basic “Deep Tomato Red”, and some highlights to the top of the shield with the basic “Blood Red”.
Lastly, I painted the rock she stands upon; first by painting it Folk Art “Medium Gray”, then giving it a wash with thinned black ink, and when the ink was dry, drybrushing it with Duncan “Slate Grey”. When the figure had overnight to dry, I painted the whole thing with Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. When that was dry, I flocked the base, and that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor’s “Dullcote”.
I’m pleased with how the figure turned out. I think the red and gold scheme, combined with the dramatic pose, makes for a very dynamic figure.
I will be finishing a quickie figure in the next day to two, so watch this Thursday for another posting!
Figure 104 of 265: Complete