First of the Kobolds: Figures 75 – 77 of 265

Chris Palmer

With the one year anniversary for my Bones painting efforts looming just over the horizon in June, I am making a big attempt to reach the 100 figure mark before that one year comes to pass.  So, I am trying to work on the multiple figure sets like the Goblins I just completed, and now the Kobolds, in order to help boost my numbers.  I am also going to try and do two entries a week, like I did last week, one on Monday and one on Thursday.
   So this week, I completed my first three of the Kobolds.  I began in the usual way, with soaking them in some water with a little dish soap added, and then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush and then rinsing them.  When dry, I sprayed them with Krylon Flat Black Camouflage with Fusion spray paint, and when dry, glued them to black-primed 7/8” fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue. I then glued the washers to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s white glue.

I began by consulting my old trusty D & D Monster Manual, to see how they described Kobolds.  The manual said that they were, “…a very dark rusty brown, to a rusty black.”    So, to start I applied a coat of Folk Art “Barnyard Red” to the figures to get the “rusty” look.  Next,  I worked on their clothing, painting their loin cloths Accent “Real Umber”, and the rest of the clothing Accent “Mustard Seed”.

Next, I painted all their assorted straps Americana “Mississippi Mud”. The back of the shield I painted DecoArt Cinnamon Brown”; and the shield handle and any pouches they were wearing I painted Americana “Asphaltum”.  For the front of the shield, I used Americana “Cadmium Red”.   I then moved to painting the spear shafts Folk Art “Barn Wood”, and the rope binding on the spears with Americana “Sable Brown”.  I wrapped up the non-metallics on he figures by painting their horns with Americana “Khaki Tan”, and  the skull belt buckle, with Americana “Buttermilk”.

Now I painted the stonework bases with Folk Art “Medium Gray”.  Then I did all the metal bits; sword, spear points, armor, studs and buckle, with Cearmcoat “Metallic Pewter”.

After all the paint had a while to dry, I gave the figures a wash with thinned Vallejo “Black” ink.

I then went back and gave the figures’ skin and clothing highlights with the base colors I had used. I then painted black noses on the Kobolds, and “Cadmium Red” dots for eyes.  I also used the “Buttermilk” for their teeth.   The weapon edges I gave highlights with Folk Art “Silver Sterling”.    After everything had time to dry thoroughly, I gave the figures a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.  When this was dry, I flocked the bases.  After the bases had overnight to dry, I sprayed the figures with Testor’s “Dullcote”.

I’m pleased with how these turned out.  They are nice simple little figures to work on.

Figures 75-77: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1prOXtl
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1rn4MFp
via IFTTT

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: