Daily Archives: November 4, 2013

Deladrin, Female Assassin: Figure 42 of 265

Chris Palmer

This week I finished the female assassin figure from the original 30 New Bones set.  As you may remember, back on October 7th, I used this figure to experiment with applying an ink wash prior to painting to help bring out the details and make them easier to see. (See: http://ift.tt/1fdbzwV )    I did the usual prep for this figure; soaking in dish soap and water, and then gluing to a black-primed fender washer.

As it turned out, I didn’t need to do the ink wash, because I decided to paint the figure mostly black.  Since this was supposed to be an assassin, I wanted her to be dressed to use the cover of darkness, and be able hide in the shadows, and so I picked a black and dark blue paint scheme.  It proved to be a fun experiment to do a figure dressed mostly all in black.
   So, to begin with I painted the whole figure black.  I then picked out her pants and shirt with Accent “Midnight Blue”, and her scarf/mask with GW “Regal Blue”.

When these colors had dried, I drybrushed  the whole figure with GW “Shadow Grey”. I then went back and carefully lined some of the edges of her armor and garments with the “Shadow Grey”, to help make crisper delineations between parts of her outfit.

I followed that step up up by going back and picking out some of the edges and other highlight areas, like all the little studs on her armor, with Apple Barrel “Apple Scotch Blue”.  When finished, I painted her face with GW “Elf Flesh”.   I wanted her weapons to look like they had black blades, so I painted black over any of the blue-grey highlights that had gotten on them from my earlier whole-figure drybrushings I had done. I then painted the very edge of the weapons with GW “Chainmail”.

When her face had dried, I gave it a wash with Windsor Newton “Peat Brown’ ink, and then when this dried, I went back and added highlights with the “Elf Flesh”, and a little of the “Elf Flesh” with white added to it. I painted her lips with the “Elf Flesh” with a little of GW “Tanned Flesh” added to it.  And finally, I painted her eyes white, and added black pupils.  I then painted her hair Americana “asphaltum”, and when dry went back and added some highlights with Americana “Sable Brown”, and some finer highlights with Americana “Khaki Tan”.

I let the figure dry overnight, and then gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.  When this was dry, I then flocked the base, and let the figure sit overnight again. My final step was to spray the figure with Testor’s “Dullcoat”

I’m very pleased with how this turned out.  I think the black and dark blue outfit turned out looking very effective.  Interestingly,by way of contrast, I am currently working on an all white figure, which has it’s own challenges.
Figure 42 if 265: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1bTgI8g

Tagged ,

Fresh Hordes

Rob Dean

The paper models stayed on the shelf this weekend, and the paintbrushes remained in the holder. Both of my sons were home in conjunction with having friends over for dinner, and William was busy with homework.

Nevertheless, Norman and I found time for a Hordes of the Things session on Sunday morning. We fought three games, all with different army match-ups.

Game 1 pitted his mostly rider-based fantasy Mongols against a ragtag band of my miscellaneous fantasy stands. I managed to summon a dragon, which took out a rider and a hero before fleeing after a wound. I remain dubious about the use of dragons in HotT….Still, I won that fight.


The second game pitted the same raggle-taggle fantasy army
against Norman’s fantasy Byzantines. Once more, I managed to get my dragon into play early.

I even managed a flanking maneuver, causing his general to turn to face, subject to destruction if forced to recoil. The first game wore out my luck for the day, though, and my dragon was sent fleeing from some doubtless minor wound. With that, Norman rolled up the remainder of my resistance in short order.


After a brief break, we went for a tie-breaker, pitting his
Antediluvian army against a force
of my recently rebased Carthaginians. We ended up with a clash of phalanxes, which was
broken when his hero worked his way around to the back of my line and blocked the retreat of my commander’s phalanx.

All in all, a pleasant gaming interlude, my 29th for the year…

via The Sharp End of the Brush http://ift.tt/17HI8Ps

Tagged ,
%d bloggers like this: