I’m still knee deep in painting stuff for next month’s Cold Wars convention, so once again I didn’t have a lot of time for painting Bones. Therefore, I selected the simple Hungering Dead group from the Bones 4 Core Set to work on.
I prepped the figures in the usual way, soaking the parts in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. I then assembled the figures with Gorilla Superglue gel. Somewhere along the way, I lost one of the heads (it may have gone down the drain while cleaning), so I replaced it with a suitably ghoulish plastic head from the Frostgrave “Cultists” set. After assembly, I glued them to 1" black-primed fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue. I then glued the washers onto a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s white glue.
My plan for these guys was to try a real pale living-under-a-rock maggoty kind of color. So, to begin with, I painted them a mix of Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White” and Folk Art “Almond Parfait” (a pale take with hits of pink and yellow).
When dry, I experimented with giving them a coat of Citadel Contrast “Apothecary White”.
When dry, I drybrushed them with some Americana “Snow White”. I wasn’t happy with that as they were looking too plain grey, and so when over them a little with Citadel Dry “Hellion Green” to add some color back in. I then filled their mouths with some Citadel “Reikland Fleshshade” wash, and when it was dry, picked out their teeth with the “Snow White”. Next, I painted their eyes using Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow” for the “whites”.
Next, I painted their loin cloths using, left to right, Citadel Contrast “Wyldwood”, Citadel Contrast “Creed Camo”, and Citadel Contrast “Space Wolves Grey”. I then did the hair on the righthand one with Citadel Contrast “Black Templar”.
I then painted the skull the center one is holding using Citadel Contrast “Skeleton Horde”, and the stones and gravestone on the bases with Citadel Contrast “Basilicanum Grey”. Next, I went back and drybrushed the skull with some Americana “Bleached Sand”. After that, I bumped up the highlighting on the first two loin cloths, using Folk Art “Teddy Bear Brown” on the left figure, and Americana “Jade Green" on the center figure. Lastly, I painted the bases with Americana "Mississippi Mud”.
I let all the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. Then, when the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the bases. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor’s “Dullcote”.
Well, I’m generally pleased with how the coloration turned out, and I think in general they look pretty good for fast paint jobs.
via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2020/02/hungering-dead-bones-4-figures.html
from Tumblr https://harfordhawks.tumblr.com/post/190882160893