Dark Dwarves “Striker”, “Smiter” and “Cleaver”: Bones 4 Fan Favorite Figures

Chris Palmer

      This past week I painted a pair of the Dark Dwarf “Striker”, “Smiter”, and a pair of the “Cleaver” figures, from the Bones 4 Fan Favorites Expansion.    I wanted to use these for a unit of regular Dwarves, having more gaming use for them that way than painted up as Dark Dwarves; and while they’re a little more ragged looking than the average Dwarf, I thought they’d fill the bill of a  unit of normal Dwarves just fine. Maybe hard worn veterans.  Last week I painted the first half of my unit, doing the “Irontongue Priests” and “Pounder” figures from this set.
       I prepped the figures in the usual way, soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.  I then glued them to 1" black-primed fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue.  I then glued the figures in onto tongue depressors.

      I started with the two “Striker” figures and the “Smiter”; painting them entirely with Ceramcoat “Black”.  When the Black was dry, I drybrushed the figure with  Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”.  I then passed over it with a lighter drybrush of Ceramcoat “Metallic Silver”.
      Next, I painted their tunics and shields with Reaper MSP “Fresh Blood”, and their faces and hands with Americana “Shading Flesh”.   After that, I painted the spikes on their shields with Americana “Zinc”, and then their hammers with Reaper MSP “Aged Pewter”.

      I then painted the beards and eyebrows on the first and third with Americana “Neutral Grey”, and the beard and eyebrows on the center one with some  Americana"Asphaltum".  I also painted the eyepatches with the “Black”.   Next, I let everything dry for a while, and then gave their faces and hands a coat of  Citadel “Reikland Fleshshade” wash.   When that was dry, I gave the tunics, shields, and the center beard a coat of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash. Lastly, I gave the beards on the first and third a coat of Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash. After that, I painted the two pouches on the “Smiter” with Americana “Raw Umber” for one, and Americana “Mississippi Mud” for the other.

      I let all the washes dry,  and then I painted their eyes, and then highlighted their faces and hands with Crafter’s Acrylic “Flesh”.  After that, I highlighted the first and third’s beards with Americana “Grey Sky”, and the center one’s beard with Americana “Sable Brown”.  Next, I highlighted the tunics and shields with Reaper MSP “Holly Berry”, and the spikes on the shiled with Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”.  After that, I did spot highlights on the armor and weapons with the “Metallic Silver”. Lastly, I painted the bases with the “Mississippi Mud”.

        At this point I moved on to the two “Cleaver” figures, painting them entirely with the “Black”.  When the Black was dry, I drybrushed the figure with the “Gunmetal Grey”.  I then passed over it with a lighter drybrush of the “Metallic Silver”.

     Next, I painted their tunics and shields with Reaper MSP “Fresh Blood”, and their faces and hands with the “Shading Flesh”.   After that, I painted their pouches with Americana “Asphaltum”, thier beards with Reaper MSP Pathfinder “Urgathoa Red”, and then their hammers with the “Aged Pewter”.

       Next, I painted the spikes on the shilds with the “Zinc”.   After that, I let everything dry for a while, and then gave their faces and hands a coat of the “Reikland Fleshshade” wash.   When that was dry, I gave the tunics and the beards a coat of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash.

  I let all the washes dry,  and then I painted their eyes, and then highlighted their faces and hands with Crafter’s Acrylic “Flesh”.  After that, I highlighted their beards with Reaper MSP HD “Rusty Red”.  Next, I did highlights on the pouches with the “Mississippi Mud”, and highlighted the tunics highlights with the “Holly Berry”.  After that, I did spot highlights on the armor and weapons with the “Metallic Silver”. Lastly, I painted the bases with “Americana "Mississippi Mud”

 I let all the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the bases.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor’s “Dullcote”.

     I’m really happy with this unit turned out and was even lucky to be able to use them in a game last Friday!  I will be using them again in a game I’m doing at the Fall-In convention in a couple weeks.

via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2019/11/dark-dwarves-striker-smiter-and-cleaver.html
from Tumblr https://harfordhawks.tumblr.com/post/188817876588
via IFTTT

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: