Dark Dwarves “Irontongue Priest” and “Pounder”: Bones 4 Fan Favorite Figures

Chris Palmer

     This past week I painted a pair of the Dark Dwarf “Irontongue Priest” figures , and a trio of the “Pounder” figures, from the Bones 4 Fan Favorites Expansion.    I wanted to use these for a unit of regular Dwarves, having more gaming use for them that way than painted up as Dark Dwarves; and while they’re a little more ragged looking than the average Dwarf, I thought they’d fill the bill of a  unit of normal Dwarves just fine.
     I got a set of 5 of these Dark Dwarves with the Bones 4 Kickstarter, then was lucky enough to pick up 4 more in a trade; then luckily, the free October Bones Black figure from Reaper turned out to be the Dark Dwarf “Pounder” figure, supplying me with the 10th one I would need to make a unit. 
          I planned to use the two “Irontongue Priests” as the command figures for my unit; so I kept one the way it was originally sculpted to be the main leader. For the other, I trimmed down the wings on the helmet, and cut the spike out of the other hand.  I then cut his pointer finger free and bent it out to make him look like he was pointing.
       Next, I prepped the figures in the usual way, soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.  I then glued them to 1" black-primed fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue.  I then glued the figures in onto tongue depressors.

     I started with the two “Irontongue Priest” figures that I would be using as my command figures, painting them entirely with Ceramcoat “Black”.  When the Black was dry, I drybrushed the figure with  Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”.  I then passed over it with a lighter drybrush of Ceramcoat “Metallic Silver”

     Next, I drybrushed the capes on them both; the one with the spike I used Folk Art “Brushed Metal "Brushed Bronze”, and the other I used Ceramcoat “Copper”.  I also used the “Brushed Bronze to paint the helmet wings on the one holding the spike.  After that, I painted their hammers and the spike with Reaper MSP "Aged Pewter”.

     I then painted their faces and hands with Americana “Shading Flesh, and did the beard on the lefthand one with the "Black”, and the beard on the righthand one with Americana “Light Cinnamon”.   Next, I let everything dry for a while, and then gave their faces and hands a coat of Citadel “Reikland Fleshshade” wash.   When that was dry, I gave the beard on the righthand one a coat of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash.

      I let all the washes dry, and then did spot highlights on the armor and weapons with the “Metallic Silver”.  I also drybrushed the cape on the lefthand one using some Ceramcoat “14K Gold”.  Next, I highlighted their faces and hands with Crafter’s Acrylic “Flesh”; and after that highlighted the lefthand one’s beard with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cloudy Shy”, and the righthand one’s beard with Americana “Sable Brown”.  Lastly, I painted the bases with “Americana "Mississippi Mud”.

     I set the two Priests/Leaders aside, and began on the trio of “Pounders”; painting them entirely with the “Black”.  When the Black was dry, I drybrushed the figure with the “Gunmetal Grey”.  I then passed over it with a lighter drybrush of the “Metallic Silver”

    Next, I painted their tunics with Reaper MSP “Fresh Blood”, and their faces and hands with the “Shading Flesh”.   After that, I painted their pouches with Americana “Raw Umber”, and then their hammers with the “Aged Pewter”.

     I then painted the beards and eyebrows on the left two with Crafter’s Acrylic “Orange Spice”, and the beard and eyebrows on the righthand one with some “Light Cinnamon”.    Next, I let everything dry for a while, and then gave their faces and hands a coat of  the “Reikland Fleshshade” wash.   When that was dry, I gave the tunics and the beards a coat of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash.

  I let all the washes dry,  and then I painted thier eyes, and then highlighted their faces and hands with Crafter’s Acrylic “Flesh”.  After that, I highlighted the lefthand pair’s beard with Crafter’s Acrylic “Pure Pumpkin”, and the righthand one’s beard with Americana “Sable Brown”.  Next, I did highlights on the pouches with the “Light Cinnamon”, and highlighted the tunics highlights with Reaper MSp “Holly Berry”.  After that, I did spot highlights on the armor and weapons with the “Metallic Silver”. Lastly, I painted the bases with “Americana "Mississippi Mud”.
  I let all the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the bases.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor’s “Dullcote”.

     I’m happy with them.  They’re simple, but I think they’ll make a fine gaming unit.  Now I’ve got the other five figures of the unit to paint for next week.

via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2019/10/dark-dwarves-irontongue-priest-and.html
from Tumblr https://harfordhawks.tumblr.com/post/188653135613
via IFTTT

2 thoughts on “Dark Dwarves “Irontongue Priest” and “Pounder”: Bones 4 Fan Favorite Figures

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: