This past week I painted the Land Terrapin figure from the Bones 4 Dreadmere Epxansion set. Perviously, I painted the Terrapin Driver, so now I can put the set together.
I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking the pieces in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsed and dried it. I then glued on the pack portion onto the terrapin’s back with Gorillas superglue. Then, I glued the figure to a black-primed 2" fender washer with the superglue, and when dry, glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s glue.
The original model, comes with a lantern on a pole; in fact the same lantern that’s included with Bufo the toad/frog man. There was something about the lantern I didn’t like (perhaps the corner cutting that led to them using an already sculpted lantern and not do a new one. It also just seemed like an extraneous bit, unless you assumed he was traveling at night; a situation I never envisioned using him in.), but, whatever it was, I decided I didn’t want to include it on my terrapin. So instead of a lantern, I grabbed a sword from my bits box and, with some superglue, stuck that down in the hole where the lantern went.
I began by painting the shell with Accent “Paynes Grey”, and the head, feet and tail with Vallejo Model Color “USA Olive Drab”
I then highlighted the shell with, first, Ceramcoat “Denim Blue”, and then with “Apple Barrel "Apple Scotch Blue”.
Next, I gave the head, feet, and tail a coat of Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash. Then, when the wash was dry, I then highlighted the heat, feet, and tail with, first, Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”, and then Folk Art “Butter Pecan”. Next, I painted the saddle and pack structure with Reaper MSP HD “Golden Brown”.
I then painted the saddle upholstery with Apple Barrel “Burnt Sienna”, and then painted the leather parts of the saddle pistol holster with Accent “Real Umber”, and the metal parts with Americana “Zinc”. I then painted the pistol stock with Americana “Light Cinnamon”. After that, I began painting the objects on the pack. I was going to use so many different colors here, I didn’t bother to keep track.
I finished painting all the items on the pack, and then painted everything that looked like a tie-down rope with Americana “Fawn”, and everything that looked like a strap with Ceramcoat “Raw Sienna”. I then did the metal parts with Americana “Zinc”, followed by repainting them with Folk Art Metallics “Gun Metal Grey”
Next, I painted the pommel decoration, as well as the studs along the back of the saddle with Folk Art “Brushed Metal "Brushed Bronze”. Then, after everything dried for a while, I gave the entire saddle and pack load a coat of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash.
When the wash was dry, I highlighted the saddle and pack frame with the “Butter Pecan”, and the upholstery with Crafter’s acrylic “Orange Spice”. I then highlighted all the bits on the pack.
Next, I highlighted the metal bits, using Ceramcoat “Metallic Silver” for the “Gun Metal” parts, and Ceramcoat “14K Gold” for the “Brushed Bronze” parts. Lastly, I painted the entire base with “Americana "Mississippi Mud”.
I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. Then, when the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s “Dullcote”. When the “Dullcote” was dry, I went back and hit its eyes with a little Americana “DuraClear Gloss” varnish.
And here’s the pair together.
I’m really happy with the terrapin, and with how the two look together. And I think the sword looks good as a replacement for the lantern, positioned as it is beside the shields.
via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2019/08/land-terrapin-bones-4-dreadmere-figure.html
from Tumblr https://harfordhawks.tumblr.com/post/187026330863