Daily Archives: July 18, 2019

Axebeak: Bones 4 Lost Valley Figure

Chris Palmer

  This past week I also painted the Axebeak from the Bones 4 Lost Valley Expansion set.  This was one of the last remaining monsters I needed to complete my Ghost Archipelago bestiary, so was happy to finally get it in my hands.
       I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a pair of black-primed 1" fender washers, set adjacent to one another, with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.

     I began by painting its body with Americana “Wedgewood Blue”, its beak and eyes with Reaper MSP “Hearth Fire”, and its crest and tail with Americana “Grey Sky”.

     Next, I painted the legs and “hands” with Ceramcoat “Raw Sienna”, and his tongue with Americana “Shading Flesh”.  I then let the figure dry for a while, and afterwards gave the entire thing a coat of Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash.  When the wash was dry, I drybrushed the main body with a mix of the base"Wedgewood Blue" and some lighter Crafter’s Acrylic Tropical Blue".

     I then drybrushed the beak with some Americana “Tangerine”, and did further highlights with a mix of the Tangerine and some Apple Barrel “Lemon Chiffon”. Next, I drybrushed the tail and the crest with Americana “Snow White”, and the legs and “hands” with a mix of the base “Raw Sienna” and some lighter Ceramcoat “Maple Sugar Tan”.    After that I used some of the “raw Sienna”/“Maple Sugar Tan” mix and painted highlights directly on the ribbing on the legs.  I followed up by painting the talons with just some of the “Maple Sugar Tan”, and highlighting his tongue with the base “Shading Flesh”.
     Next, I painted  toucan-like markings on his beak, and did his eyes, with Ceramcoat “Black”.  I then went back and painted irises in the eyes with Americana “True Blue”, and added in “Black” pupils and some “Snow White” highlight specks.  Lastly, I painted the entire base with “Americana "Mississippi Mud”.
       I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s “Dullcote”.  When the “Dullcote” was dry, I went back and hit is eyes with a little Americana “DuraClear Gloss” varnish. 

     This is a nice simple figure, and was an easy one to paint up. I’m generally pleased with how it turned out.

via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2019/07/axebeak-bones-4-lost-valley-figure.html
from Tumblr https://harfordhawks.tumblr.com/post/186375310553
via IFTTT

Advertisements
Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: