Daily Archives: July 11, 2019

Gencon Preparations — Oathsworn Squirrel

Rob Dean

With Gencon now just a few weeks away, it’s time to temporarily set aside the historical work (regardless of how motivated I might be) and finish up the last few figures needed to run the games that my brother and I are signed up for.  
Since I’m now feeling a little time pressure, I decided that this would be a speed painting practice run as well.  I needed 50 minutes to finish this figure, so I need to work a little harder before the convention.  I’ll hope to have the basing done by this weekend, and the warband sheets filled out and laminated as well.

via The Sharp End of the Brush http://sharpbrush.blogspot.com/2019/07/gencon-preparations-oathsworn-squirrel.html
from Tumblr https://harfordhawks.tumblr.com/post/186211317643
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Fungal Guardian: Bones 4 Darkreach Figure

Chris Palmer

  This past week I painted the Fungal Guardian from the Bones 4 Darkreach Expansion set.  This will conclude the mushroom people from that set that I am painting.  There were two small mushroom “children” called Fungoids in the set, but I felt they were too cartoony and almost Chibi looking, and didn’t fit with the rest stylistically.
        I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added and then rinsing and drying.   I then trimmed the base a little and glued the figure to a black primed 1.25" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue.  I then set the washer in my painting grip.

     I began by painting the entire body with Folk Art “Celadon Green”.  I then painted the cap with Crafter’s Acrylic “Navy Blue”, and the tendrils with Folk Art “Cloudy Day”.

     Next, I painted the growth on the back of the head, and the two little nodules on the right hand, with Crafter’s Acrylic “Orange Spice”.  I let the figure dry for a while and then I gave the entire thing, except the growth on the back of the head, a coat of Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash.  When the wash was dry, I then gave the growth on the back of the head a coat of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash.

     After all he washes were good and dry, I highlighted the cap by drybrushing it with, first, Ceramcoat “Denim Blue”, and then some Apple Barrel “Apple Scotch Blue”.   I then panted the eyes with Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”; and next did the highlights on the body with the base “Celadon Green”, followed by some lighter highlights with Americana “Snow White”.  After that, I highlighted the tendrils with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cool Blue”. I also highlighted the growth on his head with the base “Orange Spice” and then some Crafter’s acrylic “Pure Pumpkin”.
    Next, I painted the entire base with Americana “Zinc”.  When dry, I gave the base a coat of some of the “Nuln Oil” wash.  When the wash was dry, I gave it a light drybrush with some Americana “Neutral Grey” followed by Americana “Dove Grey”
      I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.     Then, another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s Dullcote".

     I’m happy with how this one turned out.  I like the splash of color the orange adds.  I’ll be glad to take a break from painting mushroom now. 🙂
     Below is my Darkreach Mushroom-folk and Shrieking Mushroom collection (minus the Fungoids.)   There are also a pair of translucent purple mushrooms in the Darkreach set, but I’m waiting on those; as I’m trying to figure out a way to illuminate them…

via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2019/07/fungal-guardian-bones-4-darkreach-figure.html
from Tumblr https://harfordhawks.tumblr.com/post/186209512203
via IFTTT

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: