This past week I painted the Vulture Demon from the Bones 2 Lesser Demons set. We’re doing a scenario for Ghost Archipelago this month that requires a birdman kind of creature, and this seemed to fit the bill well enough.
I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1.5" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.
I googled some pictures of real vultures before I bean to give myself an idea of what an actual vulture looked like. I then began by painting the body and base with Ceramcoat “Black. When dry, I drybrushed it with Americana "Charcoal Grey”, and then with Folk Art “Barn Wood”. I did the Barn Wood" drybrush a little heavier on the bottom 2/3’s of the wings to give those feathers a lighter appearance. I then painted the head with Reaper MSP “Rosy Shadow”, and then feathery collar with Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”.
Next, I painted the front ¾’s of the head with the “Light Antique White”, and then painted the tips of the beak and the neck crest feathers with the “Black”. After that, I painted the inside of the mouth with Americana"Shading Flesh", and the talons and claws, as well as the skulls on the base, with Americana “Antique White”.
After everything had a while to dry, I gave the head and feather collar; as well as the talons, claws, and skulls, a wash with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash. When the wash was dry, I highlighted the skin with Reaper MSP “Rosy Skin”, and the inside of the mouth with Apple Barrel “Apple Flesh”. I then drybrushed the neck crest feathers and the tips of the beak with Americana “Zinc”. Next, I drybrushed the collar feathers and highlighted the front of the face with Americana “Snow White”, and then painted the eyes “Black” with “Snow White” dots. I highlighted the talons, claws, and skulls with Americana ‘Bleached Sand"; and also used this color to paint the teeth. Lastly, I painted the entire base with “Americana "Mississippi Mud”.
I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. Then, when the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Winsor & Newton Professional “Matt Varnish”.
A rather simple figure, but I’m pleased with how it came out. It looks suitably evil and should fill the roll of a birdman just fine.
In other news, Reapers Bones 4 shipping to the US should start today (fingers crossed!). I’m Wave 1, so hopefully will have my box shipped in the next day or two; so I should have some unboxing photos ready for next Monday!
via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2019/04/vulture-demon-bones-2-figure.html
from Tumblr http://harfordhawks.tumblr.com/post/184033811218