Daily Archives: February 11, 2019

The Last of the Mantic Terrain Crate Pieces

Buck

The abandoned mine sets from Mantic terrain crates.

I have been posting pictures from time to time of the various terrain pieces that I got in the Mantic terrain crate Kickstarter.  Tonight I finished the last of the two crates and various add-ons that I purchased.

I finished two sets of the abandoned mine.  I will use these in an upcoming game I’ll be running at Cold Wars in a few weeks.

Mission complete.

from Buck’s Blog http://bucksurdu.com/blog/?p=8451
via IFTTT
from Tumblr http://harfordhawks.tumblr.com/post/182748081513
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Minotaur: Bones 3 Figure

Chris Palmer

     This past week I painted the Minotaur figure from the Bones 3 Stoneskull Expansion, as I continue to work my way through the remaining figures I haven’t painted yet from that set while waiting for the arrival of Bones 4.
         I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1.25" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.

     I decided I wanted to do something different with this Minotaur, having already painted a couple ones brown colored before (Minotaur Hero and Minotaur Barbarian); so I decided I would make this one white instead.  I also had the idea, since I was painting him white, that I would give him one blue eye just to make him look a little more interesting.
     So, I began by painting the whole body with Ceramcoat “White”.  I then painted all the armor, straps, and the weapon with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cinnamon Brown”, his hooves with Americana “Charcoal Grey”, and his main belt and the axe handle grip, with Accent “Real Umber”.

     Next, I painted his horns with Americana “Bleached Sand”.  After that, I painted the edges and decorations on all the armor, as well as the axe, with Folk Art Brushed Metal “Brushed Bronze”.    I let everything dry for a while, and then gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash.

    Then, when the wash was dry, I highlighted all his body with Americana “Snow White”.  Next, I painted his muzzle, horn-tips, tail end, eyes/sockets, and mane/hair with Ceramcoat “Black”.   When the “Black had dried, I highlighted it with some Americana "Zinc”, and then some Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”.   After that, I gave him a blue iris on his right eye with Crafter’s Acrylic “Tropical Blue”.

      Next, I highlighted all the leather armor and straps with Ceramcoat “Raw Sienna”, and his belt and axe handle with Folk Art “Teddy Bear Brown”.   Then, I highlighted his hooves with a mix of Americana “Mississippi Mud” and the base “Charcoal Grey”.    I realized he had fingernails, so I tried painting them with Americana “Antique White” which didn’t quite look right; so I went back and gave each one a dab with a little Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash to help tone them down and define them.  I also put some of the “Agrax Earthshade” on his left shoulder pad to help tone down the highlighting I had done on the herring-bone weave pattern.    I also noticed he had nipples(!), and not really knowing what color they would be, I guessed at a pinkish grey.  So, I mixed some of the “Black” with some Americana “Shading Flesh”, and used that for the nipples, highlighting with a little Folk Art “Milkshake”.   At that point I worked on the metal, highlighting all the “Brushed Bronze” with a mix of Ceramcoat “Bronze” and Ceramcoat “14K Gold”.   I painted his nose ring, and the rings on his right horn with the “14K Gold”.
     At this time I worked on his integral base, painting it with the “Black”.   When dry, I dry brushed it with some Americana “Neutral Grey”, and some Folk Art “Platinum Grey”.   Lastly, I painted the washer portion of the base with the “Mississippi Mud”.
     I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the outer rim of the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s Dullcote".   

     I’m really happy with how this fellow turned out.  I think the white color makes for a much more dramatic figure.

via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2019/02/minotaur-bones-3-figure.html
from Tumblr http://harfordhawks.tumblr.com/post/182736320488
via IFTTT

A few 1/72 plastic NPCs

Rob Dean

Continuing with the Portable Fantasy Game, I finished off a few more figures this week. The second figure from the left is, of course, from the Airfix Robin Hood set; the remainder are all from Linear-B’s Age of Tudors box of civilians.  When you are looking around for fantasy/medieval civilians in 1/72, you have to be open to what you can find…so fashion in my fantasy world is going to be very flexible.

via The Sharp End of the Brush http://sharpbrush.blogspot.com/2019/02/a-few-172-plastic-npcs.html
from Tumblr http://harfordhawks.tumblr.com/post/182734568593
via IFTTT

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: