I continued to work through the Bones 3 StoneSkull Expansion this past week, and painted the pair of Vegypygmies that came in that box.
I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added and then rinsing and drying. I then glued them to 7/8" black-primed fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue. I then glued the figures to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue each.
I began by painting each entire figure with Americana “Avocado”, and then painted their cloths with Americana “Forest Green”. After that I painted their hair with Apple Barrel “Apple Black Green”.
Next, I painted their spear shafts, and the back of the shield with Folk Art “Dapple Grey”, and the spear points with Americana “Zinc”. I then painted the face of the shield with Ceramcoat “Black”. After everything had a while to dry, I gave each figure a complete coat with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash.
When the wash was dry, I highlighted their bodies with a drybrush of Aleene’s “Dusty Khaki”, and then painted their eyes with Americana “Margarita"with "Black” pupils. I then used Americana “Festive Green” to highlight their cloths, and Folk Art Artist’s Pigment “Hauser Green Medium” to highlight their hair. Next, I picked out the design on the shield with Crafter’s Acrylic “Citrus Green”, and then highlighted the spear shafts with Folk At “Grey Green”. I then decided against painting the spear points a white metal (which I had intended), and go with a bronze look instead; so I first painted them with Folk Art Brushed Metal “Brushed Bronze”, and then did highlights with a bit of the “Brushed Bronze” mixed with Ceramcoat “14K Gold”.
Lastly, I painted the figures integral bases with Americana “Bittersweet Chocolate”.
I let the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. Then, when the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock their bases. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Rustoleum “Matte Finish”, since I unfortunately ran out of Testor’s Dullcote" without having time to replace it.
Well, I’m happy with the figures, but not thrilled with the Rustoleum “Matte Finish”. I definitely think I’ll hit these with some Dullcote when I get a new can.
via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2019/01/vegypygmies-bones-3-figures.html
from Tumblr http://harfordhawks.tumblr.com/post/182190702223