This past week I painted the Drummer which comes with the Goblin Honor Guard, and was part of the Bones 3 “Ogre Command” add-on set. I picked this figure up in a trade, as there was something about it that I thought would make it a good candidate to convert into a Goblin Leader of some sort.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.
|(Photo from Reaper online store)|
I forgot to take a “before” photo, so above is one from the Reaper online store to show what it looked like originally. I first sliced off the mallet in his left hand. Then I cut his right arm at the shoulder and elbow and trimmed and then superglued them so that it would (hopefully) look like he was using his scepter to point. I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.
I began by giving the figure a wash with Reaper MSP “Brown Liner”. It was at that point I finally decided that it bothered me enough how un-chieftain he looked like to do something about it, and make him look more like an important goblin Bigwig! So I took the time to make him a greenstuff cape and a crown. I let those dry overnight, and then got back to painting.
I first painted all their skin with Accent “Golden Oxide”; and when that was dry I painted a shirt on the top guy (he isn’t really sculpted with one) using Crafter’s Acrylic “Purple Passion”. I then painted his loin cloth with Anita’s “Burnt Sienna”, and the under-Goblin’s loincloth with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”.
Next, I painted the wooden platform with Americana “Mississippi Mud”, and then the Chief’s shoes with Americana “Light Cinnamon”. I then painted the under-Goblin’s shoes with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cinnamon Brown”, and the Chief’s scepter handle with Folk Art “Barnyard Red”. After that, I painted the Chief’s cape with Americana “Bittersweet Chocolate”, and the crown and scepter skull with Accent “Golden Harvest”.
I then painted edging on his shirt with Ceramcoat “Opaque Red”, and then painted the “saddle” with Ceramcoat “Black”. Next, I painted the skulls on the “saddle” with Apple Barrel “Yellow”, and then did his scepter skull and crown with Ceramcoat “14K Gold”. I gave everything a chance to dry, and then gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade”
When the wash was dry, I painted their eyes, and then highlighted their skin with a mix of the base “Golden Oxide” with some Ceramcoat “Maple Sugar Tan”.
Next, I highlighted the Chief’s shirt with some Apple Barrel “Apple Lavender”, mixed with some of the base “Purple Passion”. I then highlighted the shirt’s edging with the base “Opaque Red”, and his loin cloth with Americana “Georgia Clay”. After that, I highlighted the under-Goblin’s loincloth with Americana “Khaki Tan”, and then highlighted their shoes; Chief’s with Americana “Sable Brown”, and under-Goblin’s with Folk Art “Teddy Bear Brown”. I then highlighted the skulls on the “saddle” with Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”, and the “saddle” itself with Americana “Zinc”. Lastly, I painted the nails in the platform with Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”, and then painted the figure’s integral base with the “Bittersweet Chocolate”.
I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. Then, when the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s Dullcote".
I’m really happy with how this duo turned out! Not a great conversion; I still don’t think he looks like an important enough Grand-Poobah Goblin. But for a quick job, that gets the figure tabletop ready, I’m very pleased.
via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2018/12/goblin-honor-guard-drummer-converted-to.html
from Tumblr http://tumblr.hawks-club.org/post/180986455058