Space aliens attacking an American town using Combat Patrol.
Happy New Year’s Eve everybody. It’s been a hectic week here this past week between Christmas Day and today, so, though I got a Bones figure all ready to paint, I never got a chance to work on it. Instead, I thought I’d show off the Reaper Nativity set I painted for my wife for Christmas, even though it’s metal. Unfortunately, due to time again, I didn’t get it totally done yet.
I decided I wanted to set the nativity in the more historical cave setting, than in the traditional wooden stable; so I set about using broken up cork tiles to make the cave. I used hot glue to stack them on a tree cross-section I got at the local big box craft store.
|This is the kind of tile I used to make the cave.|
I added a little hidden compartment in the top that I could place a small tea-light in order to illuminate the interior.
I first painted Mary, Joseph, and the Baby.
And then as time allowed, I painted the Sheep and Shepherd, since they were quick and simple figures.
And this is how it looked all put together. There is a Donkey yet, and the three Wise Men, that will be added. I eventually would like to add an appropriate Angel, and perhaps a Cow as well, though they are not included in the kit.
See you all in 2019! It’s hard to believe, but the arrival of the Bones 4 Kickstarter could be in less than two months!
via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2018/12/reaper-nativity-set-metal.html
from Tumblr http://tumblr.hawks-club.org/post/181581070398
[Edit: I meant to publish this yesterday (Monday the 24th), but got so caught up in Christmas Eve activities, I totally forgot. Now that Christmasing has quieted down for a moment, I thought I’d take the opportunity to get it on the blog. Enjoy and Merry Christmas!)
This past week I once again mined my Bones backlog for something quick and simple that I could squeeze in painting among the usual pre-Christmas chaos. I also, wanted something I could give a Holiday or Winter spin, and thus I landed on the Were-armadillo figure from the Bones 3 Stoneskull Expansion, which I thought would make a pretty good “Holiday Armadillo”.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then, after clipping the edges of the figure’s integral base to make it smaller, glued the figure to a black-primed 1.5" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.
I began by painting his back armor with Americana “Mississippi Mud”, and then his chest plates with Accent “Golden Harvest”. After that, I painted his legas and arms with Accent “Real Umber”.
I then decided to repaint the middle back armor section with Folk Art “Teddy Bear Brown”, and . used the same color to paint his tail. Afterwards, I painted his face and hands with Anita’s “Burnt Sienna” and then painted his claws and nose with Americana “Bleached Sand”.
Then, after everything had overnight to dry, I gave the entire figure a coat of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash. When the wash was dry, I drybrushed is upper and lower back armor, as well as the small bit of armor on his head with Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”, and then a little Folk Art “Platinum Grey”. I then painted the eyes ceramcoat “Black”, and highlighted his face and hands with a mix f the base “Burnt Sienna”, and some Crafter’s Acrylic “Orange Spice”.
Next, I highlighted the middle section of back armor with a mix of the “Storm Cloud Grey and Americana "Khaki Tan”, and then highlighted his underbelly with Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”. After that, I highlighted his arms and legs with a drybrush of Americana “Neutral Grey” mixed with Americana “Light Cinnamon”, and highlighted his claws and nose with the base “Bleached Sand”. I wrapped things up by highlighting his tail with the “Khaki Tan”.
Lastly, I painted the base with Ceramcoat “Snow White”.
I let the figure sit overnight, and the next morning I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. Later that afternoon I flocked the base using Woodland Scenics snow flocking. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor’s Dullcote".
I’m happy with how this fellow turned out. The yellow should have been a little paler to truly match the costume; and seeing the final photos, I see I need to go back and add some tiny reflection dots to the eyes, but overall I think I came pretty close.
via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2018/12/were-armadillo-bones-3-figure-as.html
from Tumblr http://tumblr.hawks-club.org/post/181411413663