Herryk, Dwarf Cleric: Bones 2 Figure

Chris Palmer

     This past week I painted Herryk, Dwarf Cleric, from the Bones 2 Heroes I set.  I was continuing to mess around with the clear weapons sprue, like I did on Kristianna a couple weeks ago; and on this guy I decided to replace his hammer with a new clear top.  I was thinking I’d try to paint it with clear green and make it like some sort of magic Emerald Hammer. 

        I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I began by cutting down the big ornamental back piece  he was wearing, as I thought it just looked kind of impractical and a little silly.  (Note, I had already done that in the photo above before I took the “Starting” photo. To see what it looked like, you can check the photo in the Reaper Online Store.)  I then cut the top potion of the figure’s hammer off just above the hand.  Next, I got the clear hammer from the basic clear weapon sprue, and cut the head off this hammer too.   I then drilled a hole in the top of the dwarf’s right hand to insert the clear hammer head into.  When I was satisfied with the hole, and the fit of the handle into it, I glued it in place with some Gorilla Super Glue. I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.

      I began by giving the figure a wash with Reaper MSP “Blue Liner”; and when that was dry, I painted all his armor with Ceramcoat “Black”.  When dry, I drybrushed the armor with  Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”, and then gave it a lighter drybrush with Ceramcoat “Metallic Silver”.   I then painted his skin with Americana “Shading Flesh”.

     Next, I painted his robes with Reaper MSP “Christmas Wreath”, and then did the trim on them, as well as a little freehand along the edge, with Crafter’s Acrylic “Tropical Blue”.  I then painted the rack on his back with Accent real Umber, and the blank roll attached to it with Allene’s “Deep Khaki”.   After that, I painted his beard with Americana “Light Cinnamon”, and the ropes holding everything on his back with Americana “Khaki”.

     I then painted the leather wrapping on the hammer handle with Accent “Mustard Seed”, and then painted the metal fittings on the hammer, as well as the anvil on his back, with Americana “Zinc”.  After that, I  gave his face, and beard, a wash of Citadel “Reikland Fleshshade” wash.   When that wash was dry, I then gave a wash to the hammer handle, and the all the accouterments on his back with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash.   And, when that wash was dry, I then gave a wash to his robes, and metal fittings on the hammer, and the anvil, with Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash.

    When all the washes were good and dry,   I painted his eyes, and then highlighted his face with a mix of the “Shading Flesh” and some Crafter’s Acrylic “Flesh”.  I then highlighted his hair using Americana “Sable Brown”.   After that, I highlighted his robes with a bit of the “Christmas Wreath” mixed with some Americana “Festive Green”, and I highlighted the trip and freehand with a bit of the “Tropical Blue” mixed with Americana “Salem Blue”.   I also added to the shadows on the robe, particularly underneath the bottom, and the inner sleeves, with Apple Barrel “Apple Black Green”, and a bit of the “Black”.

     I then highlighted the wrappings on the hammer with “Raw Sienna”, and then went around back and highlighted the rack with Folk Art “Teddy Bear Brown”.   Next, I highlighted the bed roll with Aleene’s “Dusty Khaki”, and the rope bindings with Americana “Antique White”.  After that, I painted the Anvil with Accent “Princely Pewter”, and then highlighted it with a little of the Gunmetal Grey".  I went around front again, and used the “Gunmetal Grey” to paint the fittings on the hammer.  I then highlighted these with the “Metallic Silver”.
     It was now time to finish things up by painting the clear hammer head.  For this I used some clear green paint I got a while back in a hobby store clearance sale:  Mr Color “Clear Green”. Unfortunately, it isn’t acrylic, but it still did the trick. 
     Lastly, I painted the figure’s integral base with the “Bittersweet Chocolate”.
     I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s Dullcote".  After the Dullcote dried, I went back over the emerald hammer head with Americana “DuraClear Gloss Varnish”

    I’m really happy with how this fellow turned out!   I don’t often do Dwarves in green, usually saving it for Elves, but in this case I think it worked very well.

via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2018/09/herryk-dwarf-cleric-bones-2-figure.html
from Tumblr http://tumblr.hawks-club.org/post/178415909223
via IFTTT

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Herryk, Dwarf Cleric: Bones 2 Figure

  1. Nice dwarf. Color of the cape is fantastic!

  2. Very nicely done! The hammer has really come out well, I’m impressed!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: