Back in June I painted the Count Lorenth figure from the Bones 2 Expansion Set 2, to enter in the Reaper Facebook Page’s Summer Painting Contest. I had to enter anonymously, so I wasn’t able to identify myself as the painter until after the contest was over. The contest ended last week, so I can now post this article. I didn’t fare too well with my game table style up against really top notch display painters, garnering only 22 votes; but it was fun to take part.
While I didn’t personally get the Expansion Set 2 during the Bones 2 Kickstarter, I was able to pick up this figure in a trade a while back.
The figure comes with the rider already attached, so the first thing I did was pry him off his mount to make painting easier. I forgot to take a photo of the figure before I disassembled it, so here is one from the Reaper store.
I began by painting the entire figure with Ceramcoat “Black”. I then drybrushed the caparison with Americana “Neutral Grey”, followed by a lighter drybrushing of Folk Art “Platinum Gray”. Next, I drybrushed the main and tail with Citadel “The Fang”, and after that I drybrushed the body of the horse where it could be seen, with Folk Art “Barn Wood”.
I then painted the barding with Folk Art Color Shift “Black Flash”, and the saddle and reins with Reaper MSP “Coal Black”. After that, I painted the decorative metal parts with Ceramcoat “Bronze”.
Next, I applied a wash to the barding, and decorative Bronze medallions on the horses rump, and the decorative chest piece, using some Citadel Nuln Oil wash.“ Then, when the wash was dry, I highlighted the barding with some of the "Black Flash” mixed with a little Ceramcoat “Metallic Silver”, and highlighted the decorative bits I had painted Bronze with some Ceramcoat “Wedding Gold”. I then highlighted the saddle and reins with some Apple Barrel “Apple Black Green”. After that, I free-handed some blank skulls on each side of the caparison using Ceramcoat “White”.
When all the glue was dry, I painted the skeleton with Americana “Antique White”, and the front of the shield with the “Black Cherry”. Next, I painted the back of the shield with Americana “Mississippi Mud”, and then the sword and the rim of the shield with Ceramcoat “Walnut”. When all the paint was dry, I gave the skeleton and shield a wash with the “Nuln Oil” wash. When that was dry, I went over it again with some Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash.
Much like the horse’s barding, I began by painting the whole knight with Black, and then painted his armor with the Color Shift “Black Flash”. When dry, I gave the armor a wash with the “Nuln Oil, and then when the wash was dry, drybrushed it with some of the "Black Flash” mixed with a little of the “Metallic Silver”
Next, I re painted the shield Black. I then worked on the visor, which I hoped to make look like it was glowing. I first painted it with White, and then painted it with Nicole’s"Neon Green"., and lightly drybrushed some of the “Neon Green on the surrounding armor. I then painted a thin strip on the inside of the open visor with the White again, slightly thinned.
via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2018/08/count-lorenth-bones-2-figure.html
from Tumblr http://tumblr.hawks-club.org/post/176949524608