This past week I painted the Weregorilla from the Bones 3 Lycanthropes II set. We had been needing a good Gorilla figure for our Ghost Archipelago games, and this one seemed like it would fill the bill nicely, as there didn’t seem to be anything about him that screamed “Were”-creature. He just looked like a slightly higher evolved Gorilla, which was fine in my opinion for a Fantasy setting.
I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the figure to a white-primed 1.5" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue. I then placed the figure in my painting grip.
I began by painting the whole animal, and the base for that matter, with Americana “Bittersweet Chocolate”. When it was dry, I gave it a heavy wash of Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash.
I then drybrushed the gorilla with Americana “Neutral Grey”, followed by Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”, and lastly, mainly on the back and highpoints, Americana “Grey Sky”.
Next, I added a little drybrushed ares of crafter’s Edition “Spice Brown” followed by Americana “Terra Cotta” to the top of his head and lightly to his hips. I then painted the inside of his mouth with Americana “Shading Flesh”, and then did his teeth and the teeth on his necklace with Americana “Antique White”. After that, I painted the string the necklace teeth are strung onto with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”, and the cord his loin furs are on with Americana “Mississippi Mud”. I followed that with painting the loin furs with Apple Barrel “Apple Maple Syrup”.
Next, I highlighted the tongue and inside of the mouth with a bit of Crafter’s acrylic “Cherry Blossom Pink” mixed with some of the “Shading Flesh”. I then highlighted the gorilla’s teeth, and the the ones on the necklace, with Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”; and I finished up the necklace by highlighting the string with some Folk Art “Butter Pecan”. After that I highlighted the fur on the loincloth with some of the base “Apple Maple syrup”, mixed with a little Americana “Buttermilk”, and I highlighted the skulls with some Folk Art “Porcelain White”, and a little of the “light Antique White”. I then completed the Loincloth by highlighting the cord with some Americana “Sable Brown”. I moved on to the spear, giving the point a hit with the “Nuln Oil”, and then highlighting the shaft with Americana “Khaki”, and the cord with Reaper MSP “Olive Skin Highlight”. I then did some highlights on the spearpoint with Apple Barrel “Rock Grey”.
Lastly, I painted the figure’s integral base with the “Bittersweet Chocolate”.
I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. Then, when the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s Dullcote".
A fun and easy figure to paint. I’m particularly happy with how his mouth and eyes came out. Hopefully I’ll never have to face him in the Ghost Archipelago! 🙂
via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2018/06/weregorilla-bones-3-figure.html
from Tumblr http://tumblr.hawks-club.org/post/175238178243