This past week, I continued to work on the Bestiary for Ghost Archipelago, and painted the Giant Cobra from the Bones 3 original Core Set, to play the part of the Giant Snake.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1.25" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
I began by painting the rocks on the base with Americana “Neutral Grey”. I then painted the ceramic jug on the base with Apple Barrel “Burnt Sienna”, and the urn with Accent “Golden Oxide”. When these were dry, I gave the sculpted base details all a wash with Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash. When the wash was dry, I painted the back scales of the snake with Americana “Terra Cotta”.
Next, I painted the belly scales with Americana “Jade Green”. After that, I painted a diamond pattern running down the back of the snake using Americana “Forest Green”. I then painted a pair of false eyes on the back and the underside of the snake’s wide head section. For this I used Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”, and plain Black.
I then painted the urn on he base with some Ceramcoat “Bronze”. After everything had a while to dry, I gave the snake itself, and the urn, a wash with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash. When this wash was dry, I highlighted the stones on the base with Folk Art “Porcelain White”, the jug with a mix of the base “Burnt Sienna” and some Americana “Shading Flesh”, and the urn with some Ceramcoat “Gold”.
Next, I highlighted the back scales of the snake with Reaper MSP “Hearth Fire”, and the belly scales with Americana “Reindeer Moss Green”. I then highlighted the diamond pattern scales running down the back with Crafter’s Acrylic “Holiday Green”; and after that, I highlighted the false eyes with Apple Barrel “Lemon Chiffon” for the “whites”, and Citadel “The Fang ” for the “pupils”. I then painted the real eyes Black and gave them small White highlight dots.
I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. Then, when the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.
I’m pleased with how this guy turned out. It was a simple paint job, but I think it turned out pretty well.
via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2017/11/giant-cobra-bones-3-figure.html
from Tumblr http://tumblr.hawks-club.org/post/167456801373