This past week I continued on with the Wild West Wizard of Oz set from Bones 3, and painted Dorothy & Toto. I still have the Wicked Witch and Flying Monkey remaining.
To see the figures from this set that I have already finished, see: Tin Man, Scarecrow, and Lion.
I prepped the two figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. I then glued the Dorothy figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer, and Toto to a .75" black-primed fender washer, both with Aleene’s Tacky glue. I then glued the washer-mounted figures to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
I wanted to try to see if I could figure out a way to paint her dress so it looked like gingham; so I asked around if there was any trick to getting that look without doing the impossible of painting the tiny check pattern in scale with figure. There didn’t seem to be any real trick other than trying to paint it as checkered, or trying to use either blue dots on white, or white dots on blue.
So I started off painting her skin with Apple Barrel “Apple Flesh”. I then painted her petticoat, apron, shirt, and socks, with Duncan “Slate Grey”. After that, I painted the dress with reaper MSP Bones “Tropical Blue”, and then, when dry, I applied a wash with thinned Crafter’s Acrylic “Navy Blue”, paying particular attention to get it down in the folds of the dress.
When the wash was dry, I carefully tried to apply the smallest White dot pattern I could to the dress. That didn’t look right, so i went back and tried adding small dots with the “Navy Blue” between the rows of White.
I just wasn’t happy, so I decided to scrap the idea of painting an actual gingham pattern, and just settle for a mid-blue dress. So, feeling that the results of the dress with dots (as they appear in the photo above) was too dark, I gave the dress a thin wash of White. This made it a little too light, so I went back and gave it a thin wash of the “Tropical Blue”. I was basically happy at this point so I took the opportunity to apply a wash of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash to her face, arms, and legs, using a wet brush. When the wash was dry, I went back and added some specific highlights to the dress with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cool Blue”. I then painted highlights on her shirt, apron, and petticoat with White. After that I painted her hair and Toto with Accent “Real Umber”
Next, I applied highlights to her hair with Crafter’s Edition “Spice Brown”, and then Americana “Sable Brown”. I then went back and added hair ribbons with the “Tropical Blue” highlighted with the “Cool Blue”. Next, I painted her eyes and lips. I discovered her face had some very slight casting errors in it, which I tried my best to hide when I highlighted the skin with some Crafter’s Acrylic “Flesh”. I then painted the shoes with Folk Art “Deep Tomato Red”, and the gun with Black. After that, I went back over the shoes with DecoArt Dazzling Metallics “Festive Red”, and then highlighted the gun with Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”
I then turned to toto, an gave him a light drybrush of Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”, after which I did a drybrush of Folk Art “Butter Pecan concentrating mainly on his back and head. I then gave him Black eyes with tiny White highlight dots, and added a little hint of tongue wth Crafter’s Acrylic "Tutti Frutti”. Lastly, I painted both figures bases with Americana “Charcoal Grey”.
Looking at the finished Dorothy, I realized her ruby slippers didn’t really have the sparkle they needed. My wife recommended red glitter nail-polish, which reminded me that I had bought a bottle of Folk Art Extreme Glitter “Hologram” (which is basically clear) paint somewhere along the way. I applied this and it really gave the shoes the extra sparkle I wanted.
When I was done painting the figure, I used some white glue to glue a mixture I made of some fine brown sand, and courser black sand to the base. When this was dry, I drybrushed the sand and the figure’s own base with the “Territorial Beige”, and then with some Americana “Antique White”. When dry, I glued on some bits of flock and grass tufts.
I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave him a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s Dullcote". I found the Dullcote blunted the impact of the ruby slippers a little, so I went over them again with the “Hologram” glitter paint once more, and then hit them with a little Americana “DuraClear Gloss” Varnish.
I really like how these figures turned out. While I wish I could have achieved the gingham effect, I think just the plain blue dress gets the idea and “look” of the character across enough.
And here is a look at the whole gang of heroes together…
I’m pretty pleased with how the group looks together as a whole.
And, I was lucky enough to already have had the opportunity to be using them as a gang in a game using the post-apocalyptic rules “This is Not a Test”
|I added a figure (A Partizan give-away figure of George Stephenson) to be Professor Marvel “the Wizard”.|
|A shot from during the game of Dorothy carefully peeking around a corner as the Lion backs her up.|
via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2017/09/wild-west-wizard-of-oz-dorothy-and-toto.html
from Tumblr http://tumblr.hawks-club.org/post/164970256138