Daily Archives: July 3, 2017

Dollar Tree Sand Mold Frostgrave Pyramid Mausoleum

Chris Palmer    A couple weeks ago I posted an article about a Sci-Fi terrain piece I made from a sand mold that I purchased at the local Dollar Tree.   One of my readers, Marc, in the Comments section of that post, said that he was going to use the pyramid from the same “landmarks” mold series to make a Frostgrave mausoleum.  I thought that was a great idea, so picked one up myself to make my own mausoleum.

     I began by cutting a simple doorway piece from some scrap pink insulation foam, and scribed some doors and cut stones on it. I then used hot glue to glue it to one of the sides. I also glued a small decorative bits piece over the doors (Not shown in this photo)

     I pre-painted the doorway piece with black acrylic paint (so it wouldn’t melt when sprayed), then sprayed the whole thing with black spray paint.

      I then did a couple layers of grey drybrushed on the pyramid, and then painted the piece over the doors as verdigris bronze.

    I’m really happy how this turned out!   I had originally dismissed the Pyramid sand mold since I have a perfectly good desert-colored pyramid already.  I never thought of doing one for a colder climate (that is, grey stone), so thank Marc for his idea!

via One More Gaming Project http://onemoregamingproject.blogspot.com/2017/07/dollar-tree-sand-mold-frostgrave.html
from Tumblr http://tumblr.hawks-club.org/post/162560500003
via IFTTT

Jurden, Half-Orc Paladin: Bones 3 Figure

Chris Palmer

     This past week I painted Jurden, Half-Orc Paladin , from the Heroes I Set.   A few weeks ago I had used him as one of my first test weapon-swap figures, and I thought it was about time I actually painted one of them.  In looking at this figure, there wasn’t anything particularly orc-ish about it, so I decided to just paint it as a regular human.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.    I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.

      I began by painting almost the entire figure with Black, being careful not to get any on the clear blade.   When the Black was dry, I drybrushed the figure with  Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”.  I then passed over it with a lighter drybrush of Ceramcoat “Metallic Silver”

      I used the Black again at that point to paint the back of the shield. I painted his head with Americana “Shading Flesh”, and while that dried, I painted his tabard and the front of his shield with Crafter’s Acrylic “Bright Blue”.  I then went back to the head and went over it with some very slightly thinned Americana “Asphaltum”.

      I then painted his eyes, and did his hair Black with Americana “Zinc” and  Americana “Grey Sky” highlights. After that I did the highlights on his face with a mix of the “Shading Flesh” and the Asphaltum".  I also carefully painted the hilt of the clear sword with Black at this point.  Next, I painted his clerical stole, scabbard, and the bull’s head on his shield with Ceramcoat “Black Cherry”, and then highlighted his tabard and the edges of his shield with some Reaper MSP Bones “Tropical Blue”.   I then went back and highlighted his stole, scabbard,  and the bull’s head on his shield with Crafter’s Acrylic “Christmas Red, and painted the eyes on the bull’s head on his shield with White.

     Next, I painted the crown on his shield, the small bull’s head-like clasp on his front armor, the ends of his stole, and the hilt of his raised sword with Accent "Golden Harvest”.  Then I painted the grip of his sheathed sword, and the strap on his shield with Americana “Raw Umber”. After that, I went back and re-painted the crown on his shield, the small bull’s head-like clasp on his front armor, the ends of his stole, and the hilt of his sword with Ceramcoat “Bronze”.  I mixed some of the “Black Cherry”, and some Ceramcoat “14K Gold”, and tried to paint a bit of a paisley pattern on his stole.  I then used some Ceramcoat “Wedding Gold” to highlight the crown on his shield, the small bull’s head-like clasp on his front armor, the ends of his stole, and the hilt of his sword.  After that, I used some of the “Metallic Silver” to go back over the figure and do some specific highlight painting on his armor.  I finished work on him by painting highlights on the sheathed sword grip, and the shield’s strap using Folk Art “Teddy Bear Brown”.
     Lastly, I painted the figure’s integral base with Ceramcoat “Walnut”.
     I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave him a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish, being careful not to get any on the sword blade. When dry, I flocked the base. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed him with Testor’s Dullcote". Before spraying though, I taped a piece of folded paper over the sword blade to protect it from the spray paint.

    Well, I have to declare my first painted weapon-swapped figure to be a big success.   I’m really happy with the way this guy came out; and I think the crystal look of the sword was worth the extra effort it took to keep paint off it during the whole process.

via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2017/07/jurden-half-orc-paladin-bones-3-figure.html
from Tumblr http://tumblr.hawks-club.org/post/162549111033
via IFTTT

%d bloggers like this: