Toghra, Gnoll Leader: Bones II Figure

Chris Palmer

   This past week I painted up the Toghra, Gnoll Leader, figure from the Bones II Gnolls & Bugbears set.  My second Gnoll to complete as I work my way through them in the eventual expectation to play the scenarios in the Frostgrave “Into the Breeding Pits” supplement book.
         I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.    I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1.25" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.

  I began by giving the figure a wash with heavily thinned Reaper “Grey Liner” using a wet brush.  When that was dry, I painted his fur and chest armor with Americana “Zinc”, and then did his mane with Ceramcoat “Maple Sugar Tan”.  I then painted his tunic with Crafter’s Acrylic “African Violet”.

     I then painted his bone staff with Americana “Antique White” and the guard on his right forearm with Americana “Sable Brown”.  After that I painted his belt, pouch, and the wraps around his left foot with Americana “Raw Umber”, and the bag tucked in his belt with Americana “Mississippi Mud”.  I also used the “Mississippi Mud”  to paint the ropes on the  right forearm guard, and the bones staff.  Next, I painted the left forearm guard with Apple Barrel “Burnt Senna”; and then the handle of the horse hair rod, the dogs head on the  left forearm guard, the belt buckle, and the decoration on the head of the staff, with Accent “Golden Harvest”. I then painted his teeth and teeth in the jaws on the staff’s head with Americana “Buttermilk”. I painted the ribbon on the staff with Ceramcoat “Black Cherry”,  and then hit the base of the staff, and spike on the right forearm guard with the “Zinc”.

    Next, I went back and painted his chest armor, the base of the staff, and spike on the right forearm guard with Folk Art Metallic’s “Gunmetal Grey”.  I then went back and repainted the parts I had painted with the “Golden Harvest” with Ceramcoat “Bronze”.   Next , I repainted the left forearm guard and the band on the right foot with Ceramcoat “Copper”.  
     Then, after everything had time to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash using a wet brush". When the Wash was dry, I highlighted his mane with ,Americana “Moon Yellow”, and then drybrushed his fur with Americana “Grey Sky”.

     I then painted his eyes and muzzle, as well as the tip of his tail with Black.  Then, while I had the Black out, I painted the horse hair rod, and his claws.   After that, I worked on highlighting his tunic using a mix of the base “African Violet” mixed with some Apple Barrel “Apple Lavender”.  I then worked on the staff, I highlighting the bones with Americana “Bleached Sand”. I moved from there to highlighting the teeth on the staff’s head and in his mouth with Crafter’s Acrylic “Light ANtique White”.  Next, I highlighted his belt, straps, and pouches with Americana “Territorial Beige, and then highlighted all the rope with Americana "Khaki Tan” and the ribbon on the staff with Crafter’s Acrylic “Christmas Red”. At that point I went back and highlighted the horse hair with Citadel “The Fang”, and his claws with Americana “Neutral Grey”.
    I then highlighted the parts I had painted “Bronze” with Ceramcoat “14K Gold”, and highlighted the he parts I had painted with the “Gunmetal Grey” using Ceramcoat “Metallic Silver”.  The parts I had painted with the “Copper”, I simply highlighted with the base “Copper”.
   When I was done painting the figure, I used some white glue to glue a little sand to the base.  When this was dry, I painted it all Black.  When the Black was dry, I drybrushed it with some of the “Neutral Grey”, and then some Duncan “Slate Grey”.
    I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave him a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed him with Testor’s Dullcote".

I’m really happy how this fellow tuned out, though I’m not particularly a fan of the sculpt;  while it’s wonderfully dynamic, it lacks a real focal point, or an easily determined front, making it difficult to get a good photo of it.

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/2os0cZI
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2noO4ZU
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: