Daily Archives: March 13, 2017

CAV Warden Unit: CAV 1 Kickstarter

Chris Palmer

    This week I decided for a change of pace to work on some of the CAV Bones minis I got from the first CAV Kickstarter, and complete a company of Warden vehicles.  These are being based up for the upcoming version of “Look, Sarge, No Charts: Near Future & Sci-Fi” rules we will begin working on soon.  So, my company will consist of three 2-vehicle platoon bases, and a single-vehicle HQ base.
      I prepped the vehicles in the usual way for Bones; soaking them in a bowl of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. I then glued the laser in place with superglue on 6 of the vehicles, and on the 7th, HQ vehicle, I scratchbuilt a simple radar/communication unit to sit on the back using a piece of mini lego and a plastic gem.

     I first sprayed the vehicles with Krylon Camouflage with Fusion, Ultra Flat “Woodland Light Green”.    When dry, I glued 6 of them onto 1.5" x 3" bases, and the HQ onto a 1.5" square base.   I then painted the big lasers on back with Crafter’s Acrylic “Tropical Blue”;  and when dry, I gave the all the vehicles a wash with Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash using a wet brush.

When the wash was dry, I painted the tires Black, and then highlighted the lasers; first with the “Tropical Blue”, and then with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cool Blue”.  Next, I painted a simple camouflage pattern on the vehicles with Americana “Khaki Tan”.  After that, I drybrushed the vehicles with Americana “Bleached Sand.  
    I let the vehicles sit overnight, and the next morning I varnished them with Americana "DuraClear Matte” varnish.  Later that day, when the varnish was dry, I applied a thin coat of white glue to the bases and dipped them in a mix of course black sand and fine brown sand.  When the glue was dry, I drybrushed the sand with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige” and then Americana “Antique White”, followed by the “Bleached Sand”.  I then added some small bits of various static grass and other flocking.

     I’m very pleased with ho these turned out, and am looking forward to the chance in the near future of finally getting some of my CAV on the table. 

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/2mSNJka
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2mCzgGN
via IFTTT

Dollar Tree Mermaid Ghost Archipelago Terrain, Part 2

Chris Palmer    After completing my mermaid tail arch from a air of mermaid dolls from the local Dollar Tree store, last month, a lot fof olks asked what I planned to do with the left over mermaid top-halves.  I considered this as something of a challenge, and so set about thinking about possible terrain projects to make from partially naked plastic doll halves.
   Inspired by the cover of the Ghost Archipelago cover, featuring a band of heroes facing off against a band of snakemen natives, I got the idea to make one of the doll halves into some sort of snake-man goddess idol.

 
     The first thing I needed to find was a suitable snakeman head, so I made another trip to the local Dollar Tree to see what I could find.  I wasn’t able to find a plastic snake I could use, but I did find a suitable plastic lizard that had just the right head and neck pose to go atop a human torso.

   With lizard in hand, I began to construct my snakeman goddess idol.  I began by cutting down an old CD, and hot-gluing a piece of pine bark mulch to it to serve as a base.  I then cut the head of the lizard, and pulled the head off the doll.  I had to cut the neck of the doll down a little to fit the lizard head, but once things looked good I glued the lizard head in place with a liberal amount of hot-glue to help fill any gaps and blend the shape to the body.    I then hot-glued the torso to the hunk of mulch and glued the arms into a satisfactory position.

     Next, I  drilled couple holes in the top jaw to insert a couple toothpick fangs, and then used some Milliput to help blend all the joints and blend the mulch to the base.  I also sculpted a little sacrifice basin at the base of the idol, and glued some small rocks on the base. 

      When all the Milliput was dry, I gave the piece a spray with Krylon Camouflage with Fusion “Flat Black” spray paint to act as a primer.  And when that was dry, I sprayed the idol with some stone textured spray paint.

     When the stone texture was dry, I painted the idol with some Folk Art “Grey Green” craft paint, and then applied some washes of Citadel “Nuln Oil”, and “Green” ink.  After that I glued some course sand to the base.  When the sand was dry, I painted that, and then drybrushed highlights on to the statue and base.  When the paint was dry, I glued some various foliage all over the base.  Then, when the weather warms up, I will give the piece a spray of Dullcote to seal it. 

    I’m really happy with how she turned out considering she was a spur of the moment make-use-of-a-leftover inspired construction. 

via One More Gaming Project http://ift.tt/2nfvQNo
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2nwjXic
via IFTTT

%d bloggers like this: