This past week I painted the Starship Generator from the Bones II, Expansion Set 3. Since we are planning a Rogue Stars playtest sometime in the future, I thought some more Sci-Fi scenery might come in handy.
I prepped the piece in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued it to a 1" square steel base with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and when dry, I painted the base with some brush on metal primer. I then glued the steel base to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
I began by painting the bulk of the machinery, including the base, with Folk Art “Cloudy Day”, and then painted the top fan, and then inner part of the side coil with Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”. Next, I painted the outer coil housing with Crafter’s Acrylic “Pure Pumpkin”.
I then painted the cables running from the side and up around the coil’s center with Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”. I let everything dry for a while, and then I gave the entire piece a wash with Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash suing a wet brush. When the wash was dry, I drybushed the main housing with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cool Blue”. After that, I highlighted the top fan and the inner coil housing with Folk Art “Platinum Grey”. Lastly, I highlighted the outer coil housing with Americana “Tangerine”.
I let the generator dry overnight and early the next morning I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. I let it dry all day, and late that afternoon I sprayed it with Testor’s Dullcote".
A simple piece, but I am happy with how it turned out!