This past week I worked on the Mudcroak, Squog Shaman, figure from the Bones 2 Swamp Things set. I decided to paint him like the unit of Squogs I just did, so he can act as their general, or as the figure is intended- a magic user of some sort.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
I began by giving the figure a wash with heavily thinned Reaper “Brown Liner” using a wet brush. When that was dry, I painted the body with Ceramcoat “Opaque Red”. I then painted his loin wrap with Model Color “Brown Violet”. After that, I went back and painted his hands and feet with Americana “Dove Grey”.
Next, I painted the skull helmet with Folk Art “Barn Wood”, and then did his staff with Americana “Sable Brown”. After that, I painted his two pouches wth Apple Barrel “Burnt Sienna, the cord around his waist with Americana "Khaki Tan”, and then his teeth with Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”. .
I then painted the wraps on his left leg, the bands on his right arm, and all the fittings and bands on his staff with Americana “Terra Cotta”, and then did the sprig of seaweed(?) on his belt with Crafter’s Acrylic “Citrus Green”. I moved back to the staff, and painted the puffer fish with Crafter’s Acrylic “Pure Pumpkin”, the Star fish with Americana “Buttermilk”, and the Seahorse with Folk Art “Butter Pecan”. After that, I painted the star on his helmet with Folk Art “Metallic Blue Sapphire”, and then went back and painted the bands on his right arm, and all the fittings and bands on his staff with Ceramcoat “Bronze”.
After everything had overnight to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush.
When the wash was dry, I set about working on his eyes. I decided I wanted to give him one sightless milky white eye and one regular eye; so first I painted his left eye with Accent “Real Umber”, and then gave it a Black pupil. I then painted his right eye with Folk Art Platinum Gray", and then dabbed a little White in the center. I then dabbed some Reaper MSP “Sparkling SNow” over the eye. After the eyes, I highlighted the skin with the base “Opaque Red”, and the hands and feet with Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”. I then painted the spots on his skin with the Black, and highlighted his teeth with White.
Next, I highlighted his loin wrap with Folk Art “Hauser Green Medium”, and then highlighted the pouches with Crafter’s Acrylic “Orange Spice”. The rope around his waist I highlighted with Crafter’s Edition “Taupe”. I wrapped up that area by highlighting the seaweed with the base “Citrus Green”. I then moved to the staff, highlighting the wood with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”. I then highlighted the puffer fish with Americana “Tangerine”, the starfish with Americana “Bleached Sand”, and the seahorse with the “Taupe”. I highlighted his leg wrap with Reaper MSP “Pumpkin Orange”, and his hemet with the base “Barn Wood”. I then moved to doing the metallic highlights; highlighting the star on his helmet with Folk Art Pearl “Aqua Moire”, and the parts I had painted with the bronze, using the base “Bronze”. Lastly, I painted the integral bases with Ceramcoat “Walnut”.
I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave him a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. When dry, I flocked the base. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed him with Testor’s Dullcote". When the Dullcote was dry, I went back and re-varnished his eyes with Americana “DuraClear Gloss” varnish.
I’m very happy with how he came out. The milky eye, was a gamble, but I think it came out okay. I’m also happy to be done with frogs for a while! 🙂