Chris Palmer We bought a package of cheap plastic ornaments at Michael’s this past Christmas, and I commandeered two to make a couple of simple storage tanks with the goal of trying out a chipped paint and rust technique I had seen on Youtube.
I began by gluing the ornaments cap-down onto a pair of small plastic cups, after first cutting holes in the bottoms of the cups to fit the ornament caps into. I then glued the cups to 1.25" fender washers. When all the glue was dry, I sprayed the finish storage tanks with flat white spray paint.
I then painted the bases and the undersides of the tanks with Ceramcoat “Walnut”, and then added splotches of Americana “Terra Cotta”, to give a weathered rusted look.
Then when the rust paint had had a day to dry, I prepared a jar of kosher salt and can of hair spray, that I had purchased a while back at the local Dollar Tree store for this purpose.
I liberally sprayed the bases and underside of each tank with the hair spray, and while the hair spray was still wet, I sprinkled the areas with the kosher salt.
I let everything dry overnight, and the next day I sprayed the storage tanks with a khaki tan spray paint
I then weathered the tanks with a wash of Citadel Agrax Earthshade" wash, applied with a wet brush, carefully so as not to dislodge the salt. When the wash was dry, I drybrushed the tanks with Americana “Bleached Sand”.
I let everything dry overnight, and the next day I ran the storage tanks under a weak stream of warm water as I gently scrubbed at the lower ares with an old soft toothbrush, to remove the salt. When everything had overnight to dry, I gave them a spray varnish with Testor’s Dullcote.
|Shown with a 28mm Reaper Nova Corp Sgt. for scale.|
I am really happy with how they came out. They’re not perfect, but it was a good learning opportunity for the process. I’m looking forward to making some more things I can try this on.