Squog Warrior 1: Bones 2 Figure

Chris Palmer

     This past week I started working on a unit of 10 Squogs to add to my old Poison Dart Frog Army, which is made up mostly of Eureka Miniatures’ Frog Warriors.  I thought the Squogs would fit right in with the rest of the troops, as some sort of more tribal cousins.
     I started with the ones that came from the Bones 2 Kickstarter in the Swamp Things set, and ordered a couple more packs from Reaper.
      I prepped these figures in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.
My plan was to do some conversions on two of the basic models to turn one into a standard bearer and another into a unit leader.  I began with the trident-armed ones; and took one and removed it’s weapon arm, and cut off the top of the trident.   I then drilled a hole n the cut end, and glued in a section of paperclip wire to make a pole for a standard to fly from.  I then re-glued the arm to the body so the standard pole sat vertically. (See center frog in the picture below)
    I then glued the 5 trident-armed style figures (including the converted standard bear one,  to black-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figures to a 2 tongue depressors with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue under each washer.
     My plan was to try and make them look like this kind of Strawberry Poison Dart frog:

     I forgot to take a picture before I started applying paint, so we’ll get right into it.  I began by giving all the figures a wash with heavily thinned Reaper “Brown Liner” using a wet brush.  When that was dry, I painted the bodies with Ceramcoat “Opaque Red”. I then painted the shell armor with Americana “Bleached Sand”. After that, I went back and painted their hands and feet with Americana “Dove Grey”.

     Next, I painted the grass skirts with Duncan “Olive Green”, and then painted the little diaper-like bottoms they’re wearing with Crafter’s Acrylic “Bright Yellow”.  I then painted the turtle shell shields with Accent “Mustard Seed”, and the spears and standard pole with Americana “Sable Brown”.  After that, I painted the teeth with Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”.

     I then painted all the straps and ties with Americana “Terra Cotta”, and then painted the pouch on his left hip with Americana Mississippi Mud".  After that, I painted the heads of the tridents, the armbands, and the dagger fittings with Accent “Golden Harvest, and wen dry, I went back and repainted these areas with Ceramcoat "Bronze”.  After everything had a while to dry, I then applied a wash using Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush.

     When the wash was dry, I painted the eyes with Accent “Real Umber”, and then gave them Black pupils.  I then highlighted the skin with the base “Opaque Red”, and the hands and feet with Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”.  I then painted the spots on their skin with Black.  Next, I highlighted their teeth with White, and then highlighted the shell armor with the base “Bleached Sand”.  After that, I highlighted their loin cloth with Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”, and the grass skirt with Americana “Reindeer Moss Green”. I then drybrushed the shields with Apple Barrel “Apple Maple Syrup”, and then painted highlights on all the straps wit Reaper MSP “Pumpkin Orange”.   I moved to their trident next, highlighting the shaft with Americana “Khaki Tan”, and the trident head with the base “Bronze”.    Lastly, I highlighted their pouches with Americana “Barn Wood”, and then painted their integral bases with Ceramcoat “Walnut”.
      I let the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Folk Art “Satin Varnish”. When dry, I flocked the bases. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor’s Dullcote". When the Dullcote was dry, I went back and painted their eyes with Americana “DuraClear Gloss” varnish.

     For their banner, I bought a stem of artificial flowers at the Dollar Tree and cut off one of the petals, and then poked two holes in it.  I then glued it onto the pole.

     I’m happy with how these fellows turned out.  Now I’m going to work on the next five of the second figure.

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/2kjNLgh
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2joMQLy
via IFTTT

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Squog Warrior 1: Bones 2 Figure

  1. bucksurdu says:

    Now we have to get the frogs back on the table.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: