As those of you who have taken part in any of the Reaper Bones Kickstarters know, their favorite figure to use in photos to show the approximate scale of large figures compared to a normal human, is their Garrick the Bold figure. Since the figure is always shown to compare sizes, but isn’t included with what was being offered in the photo, the figure is always listed as “just in the photo for scale”, and so his new name came about: Sir Justin Forscale.
Because the figure had never actually been part of a Kickstarter, I never had had one to paint; until this past Christmas when I asked Mrs Claus to get me one, since coincidently I needed a knight figure for a new Frostgrave warband I was assembling.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. Then, since I planned to use the figure for Frostgrave, I wanted to make him look a little more dressed for winter. So, I dug through my bits box and found an old Space Marine cape. With a little trimming on Garrick’s shoulder armor, I was able to make the cape fit nicely. I then sprayed the cape with flat white spray paint, and super glued it onto the figure’s shoulders. I then glued the figure to a white-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
I decided I wanted to decorate his base a little before I started painting, so I glued on a bit of cork with the Tacky glue. Then I began painting by doing all the figure’s armor with Black; then when the Black was dry, I drybrushed the armor with Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”. I then passed over the armor with a lighter drybrush of Folk Art “Silver Sterling”.
I then painted his tabard with Americana “Wedgewood Blue”, and his cape and shield with Americana “True Blue”. After that, I painted the lining of his cape with Apple Barrel “Burnt Sienna”, and then did the borders of his tabard, shield, and cape with Reaper MSP “Pumpkin Orange”.
Next, I gave the lining of his cape a wash with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush. I then painted the decorations on his shield, tabard, and cape with Reaper MSP “Golden Glow”. I also used this color to do some freehand runic words on his shield. I then painted his sword with Americana “Zinc”, his belt with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cinnamon Brown”, and the cork rock on his base with Black.
I started the highlighting at this point by drybrushing his cape lining with American “Shading Flesh”. Next, I did the highlights on his tabard with Reaper MSP Bones “Tropical Blue”, and the highlights on his cape with a mix of Crafter’s Acrylic “Tropical Blue”, and the base “True Blue”. I highlighted the decorations I had done earlier with the “Golden Glow”, using Apple Barrel “Lemon Chiffon”. Then I highlighted all the edging with a mix of the base “Pumpkin Orange”, and some of the “Golden Glow”.
I then painted the sword with the “Gunmetal Grey”, and then did highlights on the sword with the “Silver Sterling”. While I had the “Silver Sterling” out, I touched up the highlighting on his armor. Next, I painted his belt buckle, the cape clips, and the disc on his sword with Ceramcoat “Bronze”. I then went back and highlighted these with Ceramcoat “14K Gold”.
Lastly, I drybrushed the cork, with first Folk Art “Medium Grey”, followed by Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”, and lastly Americana “Dove Grey”. I finished by painting the rest of base White.
When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” early the next morning. That afternoon I “snowed” the base with a mix of Citadel “Vahallan Blizzard” textured paint, and regular White paint. The next day I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.
I am very happy with how this knight turned out. I really enjoyed painting him as he was a nice simple old-school style figure without a lot of extra bits and bobs sculpted all over him.