Barrow Rats: Bones II Figures

Chris Palmer

     Happy 2017, everybody!  Over the holiday week, in between Christmas and New Year’s activities, I painted up the Barrow Rats figures from the Bones II Core Set.
     I prepped these figures in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.  I then glued the figures to black-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figures to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue under each washer.
     I began by giving the figures a wash with heavily thinned Reaper “Grey Liner” using a wet brush.

      I hadn’t really paid attentions to these figures as I was prepping them, and while I knew they were covered in pustules, I didn’t realize that they were mostly hairless.  So, I started off painting them all Black, assuming I was just going to drybrush the fur.  Then, as I was brushing on the Black, it quickly became evident that there was no hair texture sculpted all over them.  Ooops!  So I reset, and started again by repainting what I thought was the skin with Folk Art “Almond Parfait”.

 After I repainted both rats with the “Almond Parfait”,  and let them dry awhile;  I gave them both a wash with Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash using a wet brush.

 Next, I repainted some of the splotchy hair areas with Black, and then highlighted the Black with a drybrush of Americana “Neutral Grey”.   Next, I painted the pustules with Americana “Burgundy Wine”, and then went back and added a little highlight dot to most of the bigger pustules with Crafter’s Acrylic “Tutti Frutti”.

    I then took some Iron Wind Metals “Red” Ink, and applied light washes with the ink, using a wet brush, anywhere where there was a concentration of the pustules.   After that, when the ink was dry, I highlighted the skin with Folk Art “Milkshake”.  Next, I painted the teeth with Accent “Golden Harvest”, and the claws with Folk Art “Gray Green”.  I painted the eyes with Black, and then went over them again with a bit of thinned Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”.   Lastly, I painted the bases with the “Neutral Grey”.

     Even though I’m really happy with how this pair turned out,  I have to say that they’re probably two of the most disgusting figures I’ve ever painted. 🙂

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/2i25QyJ
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2i27YGw
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: