This week I finished up the Grave Danger set by painting the Judas Bloodspire, Vampire, figure. This set now joins the list of completed sets over on the right. Also, as noted in the title, this figure is the first of the final 10 countdown.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.
I noticed that with the way he was assembled, his sword fell lower than the actual base of the figure; so, rather than mess with removing the hand or arm and repositioning it, I grabbed a small plaster hex-shaped block I had, and after trimming his base down a little to fit, glued him to the top of it with some Aleene’s Tacky glue. I then glued the hex to a white-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue. The inclusion of the small hex riser put the tip of the sword at the perfect height so that it won’t hit the table surface.
I began by painting the figure entirely Black; and then when the Black was dry, I drybrushed the figure’s armor with Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”. I then passed over the armor with a lighter drybrush of Folk Art “Silver Sterling”.
Next, I painted his face and hands with Folk Art “Milkshake”, and then painted his cravat with Ceramcoat “Black Cherry”. I then repainted all his cloth garments, and his cape, with Black to cover any places where the metallic drybrushing had gone that wasn’t armor.
I then gave his face and hands a wash with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash. When the wash was dry, I drybrushed his hair with Americana “Neutral Grey”, and did a little highlight with Folk Art “Platinum Grey”. I then painted his eyes, and used White to paint his fangs. The fangs were’t molded real well, so I went back and outlined them as best I could with a little of the “Milkshake mixed directly with the Agrax Earthshade” wash. I then highlighted his face and hands with some of the Milkshake mixed with white. Next, I highlighted his cravat with Ceramcoat “Opaque Red”. I then drybrushed his garments and cape with Citadel “The Fang”, going back and painting areas directly that I couldn’t reach with the drybrushing..
Next, I painted his sword hilt, buttons, and the skull emblems on his shoulders with Apple Barrel “Apple Maple Syrup”. I then gave the base a heavy drybrush with Americana “Zinc”, followed by lighter drybrushes of Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”, and the “Platinum Grey”. After that, I went back and painted the sword hilt, buttons, and skull emblems with Ceramcoat “14K Gold”, and then highlighted it with Ceramcoat “Wedding Gold”. Then I painted his sword blade with the “Gunmetal Grey”, and highlighted it with the Silver Sterling".
When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” early the next morning. The next day I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.
I like how he turned out. I was worried he would be too monotone, but I think the red and the gold go a long way to provide visual interest.
Figure 257 of 266: Complete
9 figures left.