Owlbear: Figure 254 of 266

Chris Palmer

     I took a break from working on the Grave Danger set this past week, and painted up the single-figure Owlbear set for today’s post. Being a single-figure set, it now joins the list of completed sets, over on the right.
     I forgot to take a picture of the figure before I started surgery on it, so I’m using the photo from the Reaper site.  I was not a fan of how the figure was positioned with the whole body and head turned almost completely sideways.  I thought it was a rather awkward pose.

     So to fix this, I thought I would simply cut the figure above the ankle, and rotate the body in a more pleasing position.   First though, I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.

   Since his weight wouldn’t be resting on his right claw anymore, I drilled holes in his ankle and leg, to insert a paperclip-wire pin to help hold the figure, which would now be supported by the single ankle point, in an upright position. I then glued the base to a 2" fender washer using Aleene’s Tacky glue.

     When the base glue was dry, I glued the leg and pin all back together with Gorilla superglue, and got ready to paint.

    I began by painting the outer body, upper wings, and legs, all with Americana “Bittersweet Chocolate”.  I then painted the underbelly, and the underside of the wings, with Accent “Mustard Seed”.  After that, I painted the beak with Accent “Golden Harvest”, and then painted the claws and talons with a 50/50 mix of the “Golden Harvest” and Americana “Neutral Grey”.

      I painted the tongue with Apple Barrel “Burnt Sienna”; and then when everything had a chance to dry for a while, I gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel “Agrax Earthsahde” using a wet brush.

     After the wash had dried, I drybrushed the darker outer part of the body with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cinnamon Brown”, and then Americana “Sable Brown”.  I then drybrushed the lighter underside parts with Ceramcoat “Maple Sugar Tan”.

     I then painted the outer edge of the eyes with Ceramcoat “Opaque Red”, and then painted the inner part of the eye with Crafter’s Acrylic “Pure Pumpkin”.  I finished the eyes by adding Black pupils.  Next, I highlighted the tongue with Americana “Shading Flesh”, and then highlighted the beak with Crafter’s Edition “Bright Yellow”. After that I highlighted the claws and talons with Folk Art “Gray Green”, followed with lighter highlights using Folk Art “Porcelain White”.  Lastly, I painted his integral base with Ceramcoat “Walnut”.
           I let the figure dry over night and the next day I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. When dry, I flocked the base. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s “Dullcote”.  When the “Dullcote” was dry, I went back and painted his eyes with Americana “DuraClear Gloss” Varnish.

              I like how this figure turned out; and best of all, with no clothing, weapons, or accoutrements to paint, he went really quickly. 🙂

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/2eyg0db
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2enNMxT
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: