Lizardman Spearman & Warrior: Figures 251 & 252 of 266

Chris Palmer

  I was finally able to finish up the Lizardman Spearman & Lizardman Warrior over the weekend.  This wraps up the Swamp Things set, and it joins the list of completed sets over on the right.
       I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.  I then glued both to  black primed 1" fender washers using Aleene’s Tacky glue.  I then glued the washers to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s glue each.
     I began by painting their underbellies with Americana “Reindeer Moss”.

     I then painted the rest of their bodies with Aleene’s “Deep Khaki”.  After that, I painted the turtle shell shield with Accent “Mustard Seed”, and then the spear shaft, and club with Folk Art “Barn Wood”.

     Next, I painted their loin cloths with Crafter’s Acrylic “Orange Spice”, and their belts, straps, and quivers with Americana “Terra Cotta”.  I then painted the scabbards and the pouch with Apple Barrel ‘Burnt Sienna", and then did the skull, bone part of the sword on the Warrior with Crafter’s Edition “Taupe”.  After that, I painted the wraps on the spear, and the grip on the sword with Folk Art “Deep Tomato Red”, and then got the “Barn Wood” out again, and used it to paint the javelin shafts in their quivers.

     I then painted their arm and wrist bands, as well as the shield strap with citadel “Snakebite Leather”.  After that I painted their claws with Folk Art “Gray Green”. I got out the “Taupe” again, and added bone bars to the wrist piece on the Warriors right wrist.  My next step was to use some Ceramcoat “Bronze” to paint the scale mail on the Warrior’s loincloth, and the dagger handle fittings on the Spearman.   Then after everything had a while to dry, I gave both figures a complete coat of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” using a wet brush.   When the wash was dry, I painted their eye sockets Black, and then painted their eyes with Americana “Buttermilk”, I realized I hadn’t painted their teeth, so while I had the “Buttermilk out, I used it to paint their teeth.  I then went back and aded Black pupils.

     Next, I painted the spearpoint, the spikes on the club, and one of the javelin points Black to look like obsidian.      My intent had been to paint all the javelin points as obsidian, but upon closer inspection I realized they looked like they were meant to be nothing more than sharpened sticks. In fact, I think the spear itself might only be meant to be a sharpened stick, but I wanted it to be obsidian.  I then drybrushed their highlights on their skin with Aleene’s "Dusty Khaki”, and then highlighted their underbellies with the base “Reindeer Moss”.  After that, I highlighted their loin cloths with Crafter’s Acrylic “Pure Pumpkin”, and then highlighted the wraps on the spear, and the sword grip with the “Orange Spice”. I then mixed some of the “Snakebite Leather” together with some Apple Barrel “Apple Maple Syrup”, and used that to highlight the straps, quivers, and armbands.  I also mixed some of the “Apple Maple Syrup"with the "Burnt Sienna” to highlight the pouches and scabbards.  Next, I highlighted the bone parts with first Americana “Bleached Sand”, and then Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”.  I then highlighted the Black spearpoint, club spikes, and javelin tip with first Citadel “The Fang”, and then White. I drybrushed the turtle shell with some of the “Apple Maple Syrup”.  Lastly, I painted his integral bases with Ceramcoat “Walnut”.
           I let the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. When dry, I flocked the bases. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor’s Dullcote".

      I can’t say as I enjoyed painting these as they just seemed too overly detailed for lizardmen figures.  I guess I’m more use to totally naked lizards with out all the extra accoutrements these guys are wearing. I’m not looking forward to the couple dozen of them I have coming in Bones 3.  Anyway, I’m generally happy with the way they turned out, and maybe now that I have a painting scheme all worked out, the new ones that are coming will seem easier to do.  Plus I can work on those in assembly line fashion.

Figures 251 & 252 of 266: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/2e4nY9P
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2ekIdDq
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: