This past weekend I finished up the Townsfolk set by painting both the Undertaker, and Oswald the Overladen, figures. This set now joins the list of Completed Sets over on the right.
I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. I then glued Oswald to a white-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue (as I planned to use him for Frostgrave as a “Pack Mule” type soldier as introduced in The Thaw of the Lich Lord supplement), and the Undertaker to a black primed 1" fender washer. I then glued the washers to a pair of tongue depressors with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue each.
I started with the Undertaker.
I began by painting the figure entirely with Black. I then drybrushed it with Citadel “The Fang”, and then did lighter drybrushed highlights with Folk Art “Cloudy Day”. I then painted his face with Folk Art “Milkshake”.
Next, I painted his gloves with Nicole’s “Brown”, his socks with Americana “Neutral Grey”, and the shovel handle with Folk Art “Barnwood”. I then applied some Iron Wind Metals “Yellow” ink to the panes of his lantern. When that was dry, I added a little Iron Wind Metals “Orange” ink around the edges of the panes.
I then painted some Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash on his face, gloves, and shovel handle using a wet brush. When the wash was dry, I painted his eyes. I also painted some rust on his shovel handle and head using first Americana “Raw Umber”, and then some thinned Crafter’s Edition “Spice Brown”. While I had the “Spice Brown” out, I used it to highlight his gloves.
Next, I did highlights on his face with the “Milkshake”, and then finished off the rust effects by adding some thinned Ceramcoat “Raw Sienna”. AFter that, I lightly drybrushed the head of the shovel with Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”. I then used Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow” to highlight the eyes in the lantern’s skulls, and then I used it to do a light drybrushing down the figure’s front to create a simple Object Source Lighting (OSL) effect.
I let the figure sit all day, and that evening I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. The next morning I flocked his base with a mix of sand and dried coffee grounds; and when the Oswald figure was finished, I sprayed them both with Testor’s Dullcote.
Next, I painted Oswald the Overburden.
I began by giving the figure a wash with thinned Reaper “Grey Liner” to help delineate all the things he had packed on him.
I then used the “Milkshake to paint his face, Folk Art "Grey Green” to paint his shirt, and the “Brown to paint his jacket. I then painted the collar with Americana "Terra Cotta”, and his pants with the “Neutral Grey”.
Next, I painted his hat with Reaper MSP Bones “Cinnamon Red”, and then painted his boot with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cinnamon Brown”. I painted his gloves with Americana “Zinc”, and then painted the large pouch hanging at his waist in the front with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”.
I then began to paint all the various objects hanging from poor Oswald. I didn’t keep track of what colors, as I was grabbing them here and there from my painting table.
After I was done, I gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush. When the wash was dry, I painted in his eyes and then highlighted his face with the “Milkshake”.
I highlighted his hat with Americana “Cadmium Red”, and his shirt with the original Grey “Green”. Next, I highlighted his collar with Accent “Golden Oxide”, his jacket and boots with Americana “Sable Brown”. I then highlighted his gloves and his pants with Folk Art “Rock Grey”. I did a little highlighting on the various objects he’s carrying, but mostly I let the wash suffice to add contrast. Lastly, I painted his base White.
When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” early the next morning. Midday, I flocked the white areas with Woodland Scenics “Snow” flock and the next morning I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.
I’m happy how these two figures turned out, and am happy to have another set under my belt. Next up is the Dark Heroes set. I’m going to try and start posting Bones 1 figures on both Monday and Thursday in effort to really push through these last remaining few sets before the year ends.