Daily Archives: August 4, 2016

Derro Mage as Frostgrave Soothsayer Wizard: Bones 2 Figure

Chris Palmer

This week I finished up the Derro Mage from the Bones 2, Expansion 1,  Derro Set.  I plan to use him as a Soothsayer type wizard for Frostgrave.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a white-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
     I then gave him a wash with Reaper “Grey Liner” using a wet brush.

      When the Liner was dry, I painted his hands, feet, and face with Americana “Shading Flesh”.  I then painted his shirt with Crafter’s Acrylic “Bright Blue”.  Next, I painted the insides of the slots in his pants with Crafter’s Acrylic “Bright Yellow”, and then painted the outside parts of his pants with Ceramcoat “Black Cherry”.

     I used the “Bright Yellow” again to paint his waist hanging, and then used Citadel “Snakebite Leather” to paint his breastplate.  After that, I painted the sleeve on his right arm with Folk Art “Poppy Seed”, and then painted all the fur trim with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”.  I then painted his belt and pouches with Americana “Bittersweet Chocolate”, and then painted the frame holding the large “eye” on his chest, as well as his belt buckle and bracelet, with Accent “Mustard Seed”.

     Next, I painted his hair with Folk Art “Platinum Grey”, and then painted the “eye’ on his chest with Crafter’s Acrylic "Light Antique White”.   After everything had a while to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush".   When the wash was dry, I painted his cape with Black.

     At this point I did the highlights on the hair using the base “Platinum Grey”, and the “Light Antique White”.  I then painted his eyes, and then highlighted his skin with the base “Shading Flesh”, and the then the “Shading Flesh” with a little Crafter’s Acrylic “Flesh” added to it to lighten it. Next, I highlighted the fur trim with Crafter’s Edition “Taupe”, and then highlighted his top with the “Bright Blue” with a little Crafter’s Acrylic “Cool Blue” mixed in to lighten it.  I also highlighted his waist hanging using Crafter’s Edition “Daffodil Yellow”.

     Next, I highlighted his pants with Americana “Burgundy Wine”, and then highlighted his cape with Citadel “The Fang”.  I highlighted his belt and pouches with Crafter’s Edition “Spice Brown”.  I then worked on the eye, painting the iris first with Americana “Leaf Green”, and then did a splotchy pattern on it with Folk Art “Metallic Emerald Green”.  Next, I painted the pupil black, and then cleaned up the edges of the white of the eye with “Light Antique White”.   I added a highlight with White.   I then repainted all the parts I had painted earlier with Mustard Seed", using Ceramcoat “Bronze”, and then added highlights with Ceramcoat “14K Gold”.  Lastly, I painted the figure’s integral base White, and used the White to clean up any spattered paint on the washer base
      When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” early the next morning.  Midday, I flocked the white areas with Woodland Scenics “Snow” flock and the next day I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.

      I’m really pleased with how this fellow turned out.  I’m particularly proud of the big eye on his chest.   I think he and the Apprentice I finished earlier make a pretty good “odd couple” Soothsayer pair.

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/2ayLZ97
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2ayq98H
via IFTTT

Advertisements

The Chained Demon: Frostgrave Terrain

Chris Palmer

Subtitled: Some Things Should Never be Allowed to Thaw…

     This past week I completed an unusual terrain project for my Frostgrave games; and a little back story is required first.  Over the summer I took part in a round-robin miniatures-themed exchange box; where a box is sent around and each person takes whatever they want out, and puts in an equivalent amount. I took from the box: a GW Harpy figure, a section of tail from the Reaper Bones undead dragon “Kallidrax” figure, and three hexagon shaped ceramic tiles.  I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with these items when I took them, but as I sat at the dining room table looking at them, a crazy idea came to me of how I could combine them.  I gathered some other parts, and started.

      As you can see in the photo above, I also used a CD, some bases, a plaster disc I had, four small eye rings, some small nails, and a length of jewelry chain.  Also note, the Kallidrax tail section has been cut in three equal pieces.  I assembled them as shown below.

 After assembling I realized I hadn’t primed anything, so I carefully wrapped the Bones tail sections in paper, and sprayed the whole piece with White Primer.  I then began painting it.

 I had originally intended to have the figure on top partially frozen in a hunk of ice; and I planned to use Woodland Scenics “Water Effects” for that.  So I tested this idea on an old GW skeleton figure I had lying around.  In the end, I felt it didn’t resemble ice enough, so I scrapped that idea.

   I ended up just winterizing it in a normal fashion with some piles of unmelted snow and a few icicles.

I’m really happy with how this turned out.  It’s odd, but I like it!  I look forward to using it in this month’s Frostgrave campaign game.

via One More Gaming Project http://ift.tt/2aT4eHx
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2aybsPP
via IFTTT

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: