Dragon Hatchlings: Bones II Figures

Chris Palmer

   This past week, I worked on painting the Dragon Hatchlings from the Bones II Dragon Hatchlings set.  I decided I wanted to use them as large dragons for my 10mm armies for “Bear Yourselves Valiantly” mass-combat fantasy rules, so I ordered a couple extra from Reaper so I could make a unit of 5, and have one left over to base normally for 28mm gaming purposes.  Also, since they were being used in a unit, I decided I would paint them all in a standard green dragon scheme rather than mess with all the polychromatic differences indicated in their individual names.
     I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.  I then glued five of the figures to steel bases (4 to a pair of unit sized 3" x 1.5" bases, and one to an HQ sized 1.5" x 1.5" base), and one to a 1" fender wash, all with Aleene’s Tacky glue.  I then glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue each.

      I began by painting the tops of the bodies and wings with Folk Art “Hunter Green”. I then painted the undersides of the wings and bodies with Americana “Jade Green”.  After those two colors had a couple hours to dry, I gave all the figures complete washes with Iron Wind Metals “Dark Green” ink using a wet brush.

   When the ink was dry, I drybrushed the tops of the bodies and wings with the “Jade Green”.  I then mixed some White into the “Jade Green”, and drybrushed the undersides of the wings and bodies.

     Next, I painted the insides of the mouths with Crafter’s Acrylic “Tutti Frutti”, and then painted the teeth White.  I then painted the eyes with “Citrus Green”, and gave them Black pupils.  I then went back and carefully applied some GW “Badab Black” wash using a wet brush, to the insides of the mouths.  Lastly, I painted their sculpted bases with Ceramcoat “Walnut”.
     After everything had dried overnight, I gave the figures a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” and, when dry, flocked their bases.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor’s Dullcote".

     I am happy with how these turned out, and they were very quick to paint.  They are fun dynamic little sculpts.

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/295bk7n
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/297m2f3
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: