Pathfinder Red Dragon: Bonus Bones I Figure

Chris Palmer

   This week I finished up the Pathfinder Red Dragon which was a Bones I Add-On option.  I picked this fellow up recently in a trade; and since he wasn’t part of my original Bones I purchase, I’m not adding him to the official count.
    We plan to use a dragon or two in our next Frostgrave game, so I thought I would paint him up in winter colors.  I thought the ruins on his base were an ideal fit for the Frostgrave setting.
    I prepped the figure by soaking all the parts for a few hours in a bowl with a little bit of dish-soap added, and then scrubbed them with a soft toothbrush and let them dry.  I then assembled the model with Gorilla Superglue.   I used a little Milliput to fill the gaps around where the wings joined the body.  Next, I glued the finished dragon to a 2" white-primed fender washer.

      I began by painting the underbelly, and the underside of the wings with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cool Blue”.  I then painted the rest of the body, and the tops of the wings with Crafters Acrylic “Tropical Blue”.

     When the paint was dry, I gave the entire dragon a wash with some thinned Iron Wind Metals “Dark Blue” ink. When the ink wash was dry, I drybrushed the underbelly and the undersides of the wings with the “Cool Blue”. Next, I drybrushed the tops of the wings and the rest of the body with Americana “Salem Blue”.  I then painted all the horns and claws on the dragon with Folk Art “Cloudy Day”.

     Next, I painted the inside of the mouth with Crafter’s Acrylic “African Violet”.  I then painted the teeth with Americana “Bleached Sand”.   Then I painted the ruins on the base with Americana “Zinc”.  I let everything dry, then gave the horns, claws, and the ruins a wash using GW “Badab Black wash using a wet brush.   I then gave the mouth and teeth a wash with GW "Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush.

     Next, I worked on the highlights on the ruins; drybrushing first with Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”, and then using Folk Art “Platinum Grey”.  Then I highlighted all the dragon’s horns and claws using a mix of the “Cloudy Day”, and Americana “Dove Grey”.  I highlighted his tongue and mouth with Crafter’s Acrylic “Purple Passion”, and then did some lighter highlights with Apple Barrel “Apple Lavender”.  I painted his eye sockets and nostrils Black, and then went back and painted in eyes with Crafter’s Acrylic “Citrus Green”, and then added Black pupils.  Lastly, I painted the rest of the base with White.
    When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” early the next morning.  Midday, I flocked the white areas with Woodland Scenics “Snow” flock and the next day I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.

    I really like how this guy turned out, though in the end I wish I had used shades of blue that were further apart on the light/dark scale for his undersides and top parts.  They ended up looking too similar in tone.

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1S6TWwU
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1Ul7Pw4
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: