Bones CAV SO: Simba Quadruped Mech

Chris Palmer

  This week I painted up one of the Simba quadruped mech figures that I got from the CAV: SO Kickstarter.
   I prepped the figure by soaking all the parts for a few hours in a bowl with a little bit of dish-soap added, and then scrubbed them with a soft toothbrush and let them dry.  I then assembled the model with Gorilla Superglue.

   I then sprayed the model with Krylon Camouflage with Fusion   .  This left the model a little tacky, which surprised me as I had used the Krylon Camouflage with Fusion “Flat Black” before without issue.   I then glued the model to a steel base.  When the glue was dry, I painted some of the conduits on top of the vehicle, and the corrugated panels on the sides with Americana “Neutral Grey”.  I then gave the entire piece a wash with GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush.

   When the wash was dry, I drybrushed the entire vehicle with Americana “Bleached Sand”.  I then painted the bridge windows with  Folk Art “Settlers Blue” on the top, and Americana “Raw Umber” on the bottom.   Then I added some small White highlights.  I painted one of the small sensor/gun tubes on top with “Terra Cotta”.  The large gun/sensor I painted the inside of with Nicole’s “Neon Green”, and when dry, gave it a wash with Iron Wind Metals “Dark Green” Ink, thinned with a little water.  When this was dry, I mixed a little White with the “Neon Green” and painted the center of the green circle.  I painted the open barrels of the other gun/sensors with Black.  While I had the Black out, I thinned some and used it to paint the vents running along the back deck.
     After the vehicle had overnight to dry,  I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” early the next morning.   When the varnish was dry, I covered the base with white glue and dunked it in a sand and gravel mixture.  When the sand was dry, I painted it with the “Raw Umber”, and then when that was dry, I drybrushed it with Americana “Territorial Beige”, followed by Folk Art “Butter Pecan”, and lastly Americana “Bleached Sand”.
  The next day I sprayed the piece with Testor’s Dullcote.  

   I’m pleased with how this turned out.  The paint job was pretty simple, but I think all the sculpted details on the vehicle really help bring it to life.

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1sOFuVu
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1UhztXW
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: