This week I completed my first unit from the Reaper Bones CAV Strike Operation Kickstarter, the Ashigaru missile launcher vehicles.
I prepped the vehicles in the usual way for Bones; soaking them in a bowl of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. I then glued the missile rack in place with superglue. Next, I sprayed them with Army Painter “Necrotic Flesh” spray paint. When they were dry, I glued them to a black-primed 3″x1.5″ steel base (For use with LSNC: Sci-Fi rules), with Aleene’s Tacky glue.
I began by painting camouflage splotches all over the vehicles’ surfaces using Nicole’s “Brown”. I the painted the wheels all Americana “Territorial Beige”.
Next, I added small dots to the camouflage splotches with Americana “Khaki Tan”. After the paint had a while to dry I gave the all the vehicles an entire wash using Winsor-Newton “Peat Brown” ink using a wet brush.
When the ink wash was dry I gave the vehicles an all-over drybrushing with Americana “Buttermilk”. I then painted the missile tips with Americana “Zinc”, and the vehicle windows with Crafter’s Acrylic “Navy Blue”.
I then added small highlights to the tops of the missile tips using Crafer’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”, and highlights to the windows with Americana “Salem Blue”, followed by small pinpoint White highlight dots in each window. Lastly, I painted the tail lights with Crafter’s Acrylic “Deep Red”.
After the vehicles had overnight to dry, I gave them a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” early the next morning. When the varnish was dry, I covered the bases with white glue and dunked them in a sand and gravel mixture. When the sand was dry, I painted it with Americana “Raw Umber”, and then when that was dry, I drybrushed it with Americana “Territortial Beige”, followed by Folk Art “Butter Pecan”, and lastly Americana “Bleached Sand”.
The next day I sprayed the missile launcher unit with Testor’s Dullcote.
|Three platoon stands and a company HQ stand.|
I’m happy with how these turned out, and am looking forward to tackling more of the CAV vehicles in the future!